Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Originally Posted by Dapper Dan I don't pay too much attention to these "Linux will crush Microsoft" stories but I thought this author made some valid observations... Good read, Dapper ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Adrift in an ever-expanding universe, quietly contemplating the wondrous and the inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I don't pay too much attention to these "Linux will crush Microsoft" stories but I thought this author made some valid observations...
    Good read, Dapper Dan. I disagree with the authors assessment of Win98 though. I was a telephone support guy when that came out, and it was much easier to support and to use than 95. For instance, PIIX4 support was included, where it was missing from Win95. Aside from that minor point though, I agreed with most of his article. Thanks.

qv

vitalka does have a point...
    To me it seems like Micro$ofts doing that whole Embrace, extend and extinguish thing again. Thats why I'm urked about this whole "OH LOOK! we're so nice! were giving it away for free! *muttering* as long as you pay full price for it after it is released"

*sigh* Some things never change.
    "Do or do not...there is no try" -Yoda
    History is a set of lies agreed upon by the winners.
    Linux is user friendly, not idiot friendly.
    Linux User 437442

Quote Originally Posted by vitalka View Post
    I got the point perfectly.
    Windows 7 is going to be out this year. Auto shut down will start next year. That's plenty of time to test drive it If you plan on using windows in the future you will buy it. Most people that complain about it, are the once who don't even have any particular interest in Windows 7 to begin with. So it leads me to believe that people are just trying to find something to complain about, just because its Microsoft.
    Most of the comments are biased and since its a Linux forum its understandable, but does bring over all comment quality down in my opinion.
    I have to agree with vitalka. The folks who downloaded the beta knew what they were getting into. The license agreement clearly stated that this was time-limited software. The Release Candidate came out this week several days before any of these shutdowns happened and those people were greatly encouraged to download the new release, which I might add has a 1 year time limit on it.

I don't understand why everyone is up in arms about this. It's not as though Microsoft gave them something and then arbitrarily took it away in the dead of night. It was a free beta offered for a specific period of time.

How is this any different from companies like PopCap offering a time-limited demo for something? 6 months (for the beta) and one year (for the RC) is a pretty damned long demo in my opinion. If you don't want to use it, fine, but quit bellyaching because Microsoft warned you they were going to cut off something and then had to audacity to do it.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by questio verum View Post
    I disagree with the authors assessment of Win98 though. I was a telephone support guy when that came out, and it was much easier to support and to use than 95.
    questio verum I agree with your disagreement! That was one thing he stated I was most at odds with. I thought Windows 98 was a big improvement over 95 in many ways, plus it was easy and fun to use when not crashing...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

oz
    forum.guy
    In the end, I seriously doubt that either Microsoft developers or Linux developers are going to give end users more than what they believe they deserve.

That said, we should probably all learn to live with the license that we've chosen and accepted, or switch to one that we can live with. It's the ability and right to have that option that is most important to me.
    oz

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    My feelings about Microsoft (or as I prefer, Microsludge) are clear. I will NEVER purchase another device that has ANY MS software installed on it! I have XP running in a VM on my CentOS workstation for when I need to do Windows programming (my rates for that are $200 USD per hour, in 100 hour increments) or run the 2 Windows programs that I cannot live without, sigh... But that said, MS will never receive another penny from me, nor will Sony (remember the root-kit-on-cd fiasco?). I'd rather have my hands amputated and walk on burning coals barefoot first!

Windows 7? I think that it should be called Windows Bob...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    My feelings about Microsoft (or as I prefer, Microsludge) are clear. I will NEVER purchase another device that has ANY MS software installed on it! I have XP running in a VM on my CentOS workstation for when I need to do Windows programming (my rates for that are $200 USD per hour, in 100 hour increments) or run the 2 Windows programs that I cannot live without, sigh... But that said, MS will never receive another penny from me, nor will Sony (remember the root-kit-on-cd fiasco?).
    That's your right. However at least respect that not everyone has quite so much seething hatred for the company or their products. I know this may sound odd coming from me, but there it is.

I'd rather have my hands amputated and walk on burning coals barefoot first!
    You know, scientifically speaking it's perfectly safe to walk on hot coals as long as you don't run or stand still. The constant movement and light step (as opposed to the pounding of a runner's foot) ensures that your feet are not in contact with the coals long enough to actually get burned.

Now if you want to amputate your hands you're on your own.

Windows 7? I think that it should be called Windows Bob...
    A bit harsh, don't you think? 7 is hardly the worst OS Microsoft has come out with in recent years. Remember Windows Millenium Edition? No, most people wouldn't. They've forcibly blocked it from their memories.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    After spending years programming WIndows systems for high-availability manufacturing systems, I just got fed up with their cruft. Every so often in my position as principal and senior-most engineer in a major company, I used to cause some chuckles about once a month, when I couldn't take it any more (MS stuff) and would walk around our building shouting "I HATE MICROSOFT!!!". One tour around the building, and I would get it out of me and go back to bashing my head in against their systems stupidity.

And in case you are wondering, we ONLY used windows for user-facing software. All the servers ran on big-iron Unix systems. Compared to Windows, they were a delight to work with, and when I had a problem, I could actually speak with the engineer in charge of the product I was having problems with. Microsoft? Forget it! Heck, I could get the VP of Software Engineering for HP on the line when it warranted, and it took me less time than navigating MS phone menus to get to someone who didn't know where their rear end was located.

So yes, I have an abiding hate, hate relationship with Microsoft - I have only been dealing with them for almost 30 years - they have been pretty much the same all that time, so I guess they get kudos for consistency...

Also, FYI, I was an MSDN Ultimate subscriber for years. Does that get me any consideration? Heck no! I have a wall of MS discs (CD's and DVD's) in every language known to Man, so I've earned (and paid for) my "right to gripe".
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    Remember Windows Millenium Edition? No, most people wouldn't. They've forcibly blocked it from their memories.
    lol... on a funny related note... UserFriendly Strip Comments
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Windows Millenium Edition?,
    I always thought M.E means Million Errors.
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast