Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Check out the latest brilliant move from Microsoft. For the RC, bi-hourly shutdowns will begin on March 1st, 2010. You will be alerted to install a released version of Windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Windows 7 RC auto-shutdown

Check out the latest brilliant move from Microsoft.

For the RC, bi-hourly shutdowns will begin on March 1st, 2010. You will be alerted to install a released version of Windows and your PC will shut down automatically every 2 hours. On June 1st, 2010 if you are still on the Windows 7 RC your license for the Windows 7 RC will expire and the non-genuine experience is triggered where your wallpaper is removed and “This copy of Windows is not genuine” will be displayed in the lower right corner above the taskbar.
    Windows 7 RC to auto-shutdown every 2 hours from March ? Tech Products & Geek News | Geek.com

Yet another reason to stick with Linux
    "Do or do not...there is no try" -Yoda
    History is a set of lies agreed upon by the winners.
    Linux is user friendly, not idiot friendly.
    Linux User 437442

Linux User
    Yes, even if you aquire a copy of windows legally, microsoft will still punish you for it.

I don't pay too much attention to these "Linux will crush Microsoft" stories but I thought this author made some valid observations...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    Would you like to explain your sarcasm, because I see nothing wrong with that idea. Why should they give you something for free and not want something in return. Do you feel entitled to get something from them?

Been playing with RC1 for two days and it works well.

Hey, if you're cool with them having that control over your computer, and you're cool with them 3 months before the RC expires shutting down your computer every two hours, go for it. I think it's a ridiculous intrusion of privacy. Why not just pop up reminders to buy it, and shut it down when the RC actually expires? That's a level of intrusion I personally am still not ok with, but it's a hell of a lot more reasonable.

And they are getting something back, besides money - they are getting cheap testing and advertising for their product.

Anyway, it's not at all obvious that the model of software as a "good" to be bought and sold is necessary or desirable. I lean towards thinking it's not even moral. Certainly open source is doing quite well without that mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I don't pay too much attention to these "Linux will crush Microsoft" stories but I thought this author made some valid observations...
    Thanks Dan, that was a good read.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Quote Originally Posted by vitalka View Post
    Would you like to explain your sarcasm, because I see nothing wrong with that idea. Why should they give you something for free and not want something in return. Do you feel entitled to get something from them?

Been playing with RC1 for two days and it works well.
    I think you may be missing the point behind his sarcasm. It's not the fact that the trial expires... it's the fact that your system will begin re-booting in a very intrusive manner well before the expiration. I have to agree with reed9 here, as well as the author of the article that was linked.
    Mind you, I've not played with Win 7, nor do I plan on it. But if I were inclined to give it a go, I think I'd be fairly ticked if my system began shutting down un-expectedly just to remind me of the fact that it's a beta... when a little notification bubble in the corner would do just as well. Hell, make it a BIG bubble for that matter. but to have code piped into your system is an invasion of the worst kind.

*EDIT*

BTW, Dan... nice article!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    Hey, if you're cool with them having that control over your computer, and you're cool with them 3 months before the RC expires shutting down your computer every two hours, go for it. I think it's a ridiculous intrusion of privacy. Why not just pop up reminders to buy it, and shut it down when the RC actually expires? That's a level of intrusion I personally am still not ok with, but it's a hell of a lot more reasonable.
    Microsoft?
    Control our system?
    Can they control themselves?
    They can't even recognize their genuine Windows X_X
    Look here -->

Windows is nothing but a worst emulator of Wine.
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    I think you may be missing the point behind his sarcasm. It's not the fact that the trial expires... it's the fact that your system will begin re-booting in a very intrusive manner well before the expiration. I have to agree with reed9 here, as well as the author of the article that was linked.
    Mind you, I've not played with Win 7, nor do I plan on it. But if I were inclined to give it a go, I think I'd be fairly ticked if my system began shutting down un-expectedly just to remind me of the fact that it's a beta... when a little notification bubble in the corner would do just as well. Hell, make it a BIG bubble for that matter. but to have code piped into your system is an invasion of the worst kind.

*EDIT*

BTW, Dan... nice article!
    I got the point perfectly.
    Windows 7 is going to be out this year. Auto shut down will start next year. That's plenty of time to test drive it If you plan on using windows in the future you will buy it. Most people that complain about it, are the once who don't even have any particular interest in Windows 7 to begin with. So it leads me to believe that people are just trying to find something to complain about, just because its Microsoft.
    Most of the comments are biased and since its a Linux forum its understandable, but does bring over all comment quality down in my opinion.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast