Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: Should Real become a Linux OS distributor?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes; it's the way forward

6 40.00%
  • No, it's insane

9 60.00%
  • I thought they already were

0 0%
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

A Real Linux OS?

With Real's troubles with the forces of darkness in mind

Stewart pointed out that, despite what it characterized as Microsofts predatory behavior, RealNetworks has successfully diversified its business to include the Helix player for mobile devices. "We continue to compete and grow our business in exciting new directions, from music to games to mobile services," he said. He said that RealNetworks' deals with mobile phone manufacturers and Linux OS providers showed the effects of open competition.
    http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news...le.php/3416291

I wondered how much capital Real can rasie. Could the buy a Linux outfit producing a Real Linux OS or in other ways help curb the giants destruction of the free competitive world?

Or do they see the path to glory and richness in being a minor supplier of Microsoft dependent applications?

I am shure it would be another distro "combining the best of free and proprietary software"

Anyone is free to make a distro, perhaps it will be more directed to the media-folks (i.e. soundeditors and such)

Sure, why not? As MS is a competitor on the Media player side so why not put another front on the Linux side and be able to provide high class sound editing programs? They can learn alot in that way.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Are we talking Real as in "those who brought of audio over 14.4kbps and now makes an ad(-based)-player?"... I think I probably wouldn't try that distro... but one could always hope it would give (free) audio/video/media software a litlle kick forwards.
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

I voted no, just because I've never really liked Real's products. I have no real reason other than that.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    [ [ SykkN alloc ] initWithThePowerTo: destroyYouAll ];
    /* Don\'t make me use it! */

Linux Engineer
    I never liked any of real's products in the past, they always seemed to take over everything

Just Joined!
    Real, take the P*** sometimes, although, i have to say fair play with them vs Apple.

dont really like real. never have. i think apple should come out with a distro. then maybe apple could take over the PC's.