Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
my computer is off and on all the time lol i wake up switch it on go eat put some music on and have a mess about then it goes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

my computer is off and on all the time lol i wake up switch it on go eat put some music on and have a mess about then it goes off so its been on a maximum of an hour there then i go to school (9am) and come home at 4ish and it is back on again. if i go out that nite it goes off but sum nites its on till this time (2am) it is never in the days range coz its too noisy (at nite)

21:34:12 up 12 days, 6:45, 3 users, load average: 0.24, 0.15, 0.06

ya, mine would have me up for about 2 months by now, if i hadn't updated to Mdk 10.1 Community. someone needs to create a way to update without rebooting.

depends, i have 1 machine that is running about 11 months now.... my personal box is too much of a testbed to be mcuh, but Its at 2 weeks, but gentoo just released new kernel sources, so I think it might just be time to start that proceses again
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Code:
    [akissner@localhost akissner]$ uptime
     17:11:04  up 6 days, 11:42,  3 users,  load average: 4.06, 2.00, 1.66
    i have my laptop in performance mode so i sqeauk out 400-500mhz from me P.II 366mhz instead of silent, and it is as loud as an engine... Which is exactly why i leave it on at night. Somehow I just can't get to sleep without the drone of cooling fans... We have muchos el power outages down here in the summer, so I haven't had a chance to get nice long uptimes...
    -lakerdonald

Linux Newbie
    18:45:05 up 22:46, 2 users, load average: .42, .12, .04
    Linux is for those who want to know why their computer works.

Registered Linux Machine #293111
    Registered Linux User #371115

Linux Engineer
    /me makes thread sticky.

23:27:55 up 16 days, 1:42, 6 users, load average: 0.54, 0.29, 0.20

i would have better, but i usually play around with this box way too much for it to be consistently on.. either that or it was a power outage.. i forget.
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Newbie
    i kinda understand what these values mean but could someone clarify? thanx

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by mechmaster
    i kinda understand what these values mean but could someone clarify? thanx
    we'll use yours as an example.
    Code:
    18:45:05 up 22:46, 2 users, load average: .42, .12, .04
    first is the time. it's 18:45. next is the uptime, the amount of time your computer has been up and running. yours is almost 23 hours. 2 users means you have 2 users total on your computer. load average is hard to explain, and that's why i'll give you this link:
    http://www.teamquest.com/resources/gunther/ldavg1.shtml
    basically it's the number of processes competing for resources at 1, 5, and 15 minutes. so for yours, an average of 0.42 processes were competing for resources in the past 1 minute, 0.12 processes in the past 5 minutes, and 0.04 processes in the past 15 minutes. lower is better obviously - it means there's less load on the system. your load averages are relatively low. a load average of 1 means your system's a bit active, over 2 means it's pretty hard on the resources, and 3 is something you want to stay under usually.

if i still haven't answered your question let me say that high uptimes are favorable. this is usually if you're running a server. if the server has a lot of downtime there's an obvious problem, because other computers won't be able to connect to it. uptime is usually a measure of how stable your system is, especially if it's a server you intend to have on all the time. if you never had a system crash and never turned off your computer, you would have a long uptime.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    [code][akissner@localhost akissner]Somehow I just can't get to sleep without the drone of cooling fans...
    i am the exact same way! my old computer was so loud that my sister and my mom complained about it for a while. my new one is a lot less noisy, despite that it has 2 case fans vs. my older ones 0 case fans. I do have trouble getting to sleep without it on.

[code]23:57:10 up 23:32, 2 users, load average: 0.28, 0.36, 0.26
    [/code]

Linux Newbie
    you definantly answered my question, thank you sether

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast