Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
The ultimate solution is a bit inconvenient. Just keep the system from making connection in any single way, with the world outside. There is just no way to keep a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

The ultimate solution is a bit inconvenient. Just keep the system from making connection in any single way, with the world outside.

There is just no way to keep a computer safe from mal ware. All you can do is do your best to prevent it and pray it will be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Bemk
    The ultimate solution is a bit inconvenient. Just keep the system from making connection in any single way, with the world outside.

There is just no way to keep a computer safe from mal ware. All you can do is do your best to prevent it and pray it will be ok.
    That'll be back to DOS then, I'm sorry but I don't give up that easily.

I think a lot of the trick is to maintain a good firewall. But I must admit my inbound traffic gets a lot better look than my outbound traffic. Maybe it's time to remedy that...
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    I thought I understood umask. I did.

My default umask is 0022 which should mean that any files created on my system have their permissions as 666 - 022 which is 644. That is world readable,, writeable by me and executable by no-one.

This is why a chmod +x is required to make it runnable.
    This is what protects against malware. See, I told you I'd get to the point

Why then did Firefox 3.5 beta 4 have a shell script that was automatically executable?
    Isn't this a vulnerability that could be exploited by malware?

How do I stop it from happening?
    Well, are you extracting your archive as root with "tar"? If so then the default behavior is to use the preserved permissions from the archive. You can use the "--no-same-permissions" option to switch from using the archive's preserved permissions, or the current user's umask.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Freston View Post
    That'll be back to DOS then, I'm sorry but I don't give up that easily.

I think a lot of the trick is to maintain a good firewall. But I must admit my inbound traffic gets a lot better look than my outbound traffic. Maybe it's time to remedy that...
    Well, I did say do your best and pray it will be ok.

Doing your best is just doing as much as you possibly can, which also means that if you don't know how to, you just learn how to code and then use that knowledge to improve the code to stay safe. That's pretty difficult, but it is the best way to be sure your system is safe.

I think it is more a question of growing a healthy sense of which sources you can trust.

The bad thing about this is that it takes time. The people joining the Internet today do have a hard start, as they take everything they see online at face value.
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by GNU-Fan View Post
    I think it is more a question of growing a healthy sense of which sources you can trust.

The bad thing about this is that it takes time.
    And learning the hard way in many cases
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by Bemk View Post

My solution is to use the net for pleasure and education but not for business. I don't do online banking and I don't buy online. That isn't just because I'm afraid of keyloggers; a lot of business sites get cracked and their customer lists then get bought and sold.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    That isn't just because I'm afraid of keyloggers; a lot of business sites get cracked and their customer lists then get bought and sold.
    My bank's system is considered to be only moderately secure but I still find it has more than enough protection against crackers bruteforcing. There's a rotating question along with only partial questions on your login. No one time do I present all of my logon details, they might ask for say the first, fifth and sixt digits along with a personally identifying piece of information. There really haven't been any breaches on it.

I really wouldn't worry about problems arising this way. Unless you are found to have given out your details intentionally or through unforgiveable negligence your money is well insured. I have friends in the business and I can tell you that they can easily tell genuine cases of loss from scammers in a heartbeat

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    My solution is to use the net for pleasure and education but not for business. I don't do online banking and I don't buy online. That isn't just because I'm afraid of keyloggers; a lot of business sites get cracked and their customer lists then get bought and sold.
    Just because you don't use the facility does not mean you are safe ... if the bank you use has online bank facilities for your type of account then information is still available. A similar thing applies to a business you deal with.

Personally the advantages I get from buying some things and banking online are worth the additional effort and increased risk. If I had to use Windows and IE for the transactions I may feel a little differently ... but I don't .

Use whatever works for you ... but not using a facility = no risk ... is not alway true

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by SagaciousKJB View Post
    Well, are you extracting your archive as root with "tar"? If so then the default behavior is to use the preserved permissions from the archive. You can use the "--no-same-permissions" option to switch from using the archive's preserved permissions, or the current user's umask.
    I extracted as me using

Code:
    tar --no-same-permissions -xvjf firefox-3.5rc2.tar.bz2
    and still had the script marked executable. This is really annoying and I am just drunk enough to consider trolling the Ubuntu forums abaout it
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast