Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey people, just needed some help for creating my own linux distro. I am using ubuntu as my default operating system, and would be liked to know if i could ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cool Creating a new distro

Hey people, just needed some help for creating my own linux distro. I am using ubuntu as my default operating system, and would be liked to know if i could do it all under ubuntu like compiling it all up and making an iso all done under ubuntu 9.04.

Please help me with some tips and help me find a good software which will run under ubuntu to make my own distro.

I might also not know that i have to do this project individually or in a group. so, please tell me were to do this, were do i have to go, and also do i have to join some sort of group?

The programming languages i know of are c++ and java. I am not really an expert at these languages, but have made some simple kind of apps, such as "Hello World", Beeps, windows api etc...
    This sort of stuff like making simple apps such as "Hello World", beeps, and so on..have only been attempted by me in c++ but not all in jave.

Thank You.

Hi .
    Welcome to Forums
    Start here
    Welcome to Linux From Scratch!

Be Prepared to Spent atleast 3-4 days on it.
    IMO,Distro creating doesn't require you to be expert in Linux.

Good luck
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!

Cool Hi

Hey, thanks for the help...

I got a download called "lfsLiveCd-x86-6.3-r2160.iso", im sure that i have a 32 bit processor.

I used brasero burner to burn this iso image to a dvd.

but when i boot it, i choose just the language i want including the time and settings.
    When i come to the bit were it says "system [root]#" or something similer.

does this come with a gui tool? or is it just text based? if text based, what commands do i have to give it to boot up into the gui mode or creat my new distro.

Thanks.

oz
    forum.guy
    You can find the documentation for it here:

LFS LiveCD Documentation

According to their documentation, it has packages for Xorg and XFCE should you wish to use them.
    oz

I just finished creating a distro myself. Now I have problems making it popular.
    It's based on Mepis and is for those who want to learn to use Linux, programming, networking and a bit of security.

You can find it at:
    Code:
    ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/anubis-linux/
    OP, maybe I can help you in creating your own distro but not sure. You don't need to know programming at all though - unless you want to recompile the kernel.

Quote Originally Posted by RFahy View Post
    I just finished creating a distro myself. Now I have problems making it popular.
    It's based on Mepis and is for those who want to learn to use Linux, programming, networking and a bit of security.

You can find it at:
    Code:
    ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/anubis-linux/
    OP, maybe I can help you in creating your own distro but not sure. You don't need to know programming at all though - unless you want to recompile the kernel.
    You really don't even need to know programming to recompile a kernel, you only really need to know what hardware and peripherals are in your machine and which drivers you need in the kernel.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    You really don't even need to know programming to recompile a kernel, you only really need to know what hardware and peripherals are in your machine and which drivers you need in the kernel.
    True - I meant to say modify, add patches and then recompile it. Even then C knowledge ought to be enough, there's no C++ code in the kernel from what I remember, and thank God there isn't Java.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by RFahy View Post
    I just finished creating a distro myself.
    Congrats RFahy I need more info. on it. Have you created it from LFS?
    Have you placed X over it ie. packages from BLFS?

Right now ,I have a minimal working Distro,yet to go for BLFS.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

When i come to the bit were it says "system [root]#" or something similer.

does this come with a gui tool? or is it just text based? if text based, what commands do i have to give it to boot up into the gui mode or creat my new distro.
    I guess you need to Go go BLFS. LFS has minimial text mode linux,doesn't have X packages.

And If you have time built LFS from scratch,rather than using LFS LiveCD.
    -----

Linux User
    TuxRadar shows the easy way to that. LFS is a little more difficult.
    Registered Linux User #420832

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast