Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Am I living in New Jersey? What ever Happened to being neighborly, or the common man trying to earn a living? I am blown away, (but not to surprised by ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Texas, you have tripped me out once again.

Am I living in New Jersey? What ever Happened to being neighborly, or the common man trying to earn a living? I am blown away, (but not to surprised by the backroom way this was done) by this.

Last year, in it's infinite wisdom, Texas passed a law affecting all Computer Techs and computer repair shops.
    Seems that in order to continue business as usual the tech will now need a Private Investigator license or face 1 year in jail and up to a total of $14,000 in fines.
    And if the customer knowingly takes their computer to an unlicensed tech, they also face the same fines and jail time.

Institute For Justice - A Libertarian Public Interest, Non-Profit Law Firm That's In Court On Behalf Of Individual Rights--mainly Economic Liberty, Private Property Rights, School Choice and First Amendment. Pursuing litigation on behalf of Individua

Techie Moe and MikeTBob. Watch your backs.

oz
    forum.guy
    I'm pretty sure that law was passed in 2007, and not last year, rokytnji. Either way, I had my private investigators license for a number of years, but let it go when I went entered into another line of work. Guess I should have kept it, but I could probably get it back easily enough should I ever need it again in the future. Some of the other Texans will probably have to go through the entire process from scratch to get their own Texas PI license.

Note that the license is only required if you intend to do certain investigative chores on hard drive data. In other words, it's not required for all PC repairs in Texas. That said, I don't necessarily agree that repair techs should have to be licensed as private investigators.
    oz

okay I thought this was a joke....but it appears to not be. The only thing I found that your info seems wrong is that it's $4000 not $14,000 (at least that's what about 10 sites said). I'm still digging a bit more as I can't possibly thing our politicians are this....hard to even think of the word
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    The problem for repair techs that don't think they need the license crops up when they do work on a hard drive. They might not intend to be doing investigations, but if they are taken to court and it's decided that the repairs were investigative in nature, they are in trouble without the license.
    oz

Linux Guru
    I in my blissful ignorance just found out about this today. Because I am one of the few that run Linux in this rural part of Texas. My wife brings her coworkers and girlfriends computers (laptops ususally) to me to look at when they BSOD or have some other hardware or software problem. Now I got to quit being neighborly about this.

Its been only a couple years now since I powered up my first computer and decided to learn something new. I like where I live because I know all the cops and can ride without my helmet, customize my bikes to how I see fit, Pretty much live free. This just trips me out is all. I thought this was Tx.

Adrift in an ever-expanding universe, quietly contemplating the wondrous and the inevitable.
    You have got to be s******* me! I really don't like where the state is heading on this one. I've noticed since my return a couple months back, that a certain element in state government seems to be pushing frivolous licencing legislation. My trade is being strangled by it too. My take is that a bunch of greedy politicos are trying to line their pockets and fund their pet projects.

In the words of the Pace Picante man: "Git a rope!!!"

qv

It's the same here in Kentucky. And, like ozar said, it's for when your work may be 'investigative'. Problem being, removing a virus or a trojan can fall under that very vague classification.
    I think it's because if you're doing recovery work and come across anything illegal, it becomes a civic duty to report it. And if you happen to come across it and don't have a license then you can be sued for snooping... even though you were hired to do the work to begin with.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

yeah this is just one of those things that makes you say HHHMMMMMMmmmmmm, I think it's totally bass ackwards and it reeks of political money, nothing more. On the other hand, now I have a most excellent excuse to fix and more of my family/friend machines.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I won't go into everything I'd like to say about this because I don't won't to steer it away from being a computer discussion, but this is yet another example of how government insidiously usurps freedom. If they smell money they'll find a way to impose laws on private enterprise which leads to less freedom, innovation and profits for those who earned it, and more power, corruption and riches for those who didn't.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Well, I for one intend to continue helping my fellow man regardless of whether it's considered illegal. The fixes I do rarely involve anything I might be called to court over, and all my transactions involve cash or food; both things the government (state or otherwise) cannot track.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast