Find the answer to your Linux question:
One of my bugbears with Linux, specifically Xubuntu in my case, is how long some applications take to start up when I select the menu option. Open Office Writer, for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

How to load application more quickerer!!

One of my bugbears with Linux, specifically Xubuntu in my case, is how long some applications take to start up when I select the menu option. Open Office Writer, for example takes over twenty five seconds; now that's not a huge amount of time in the grand scheme of things but it feels like an eternity when you are waiting for an application to open.

If you want to find out how long twenty five seconds actually is, try the following experiment.

Get into your car at 3am and drive around a quiet neighbourhood. Give a blast on your horn that lasts for twenty five seconds. You will be truly amazed at how long it is! Seriously, don't do that, depending on the neighbourhood, you may get into trouble with the law, or shot or both!

Open Office writer now starts up on my machine in less than five seconds and other programs have had a similar boost. And it was easy.

When starting any Linux application, the biggest chunk of time by far is spent working out which shared libraries are needed by the application and which are need by those and so on. What we need then is a way to speed up or avoid this process. Fortunately, there is a wonderful utility called prelink which will do the job perfectly.

The following is how I set it up in Xubuntu; the process should be similar in other distributions.

Install prelink by opening a terminal and running following command, accepting any dependencies.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install prelink
    Turn on prelinking by editing /etc/default/prelink and changing PRELINKING=unknown to PRELINKING=yes

Initialise the prelink databse by running the following command.
    Code:
    sudo /etc/cron.daily/prelink
    This will take quite a while to complete but thereafter will update very quickly every day.

That's it! It really is that easy.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Interesting. On my CentOS system, prelink is installed by default, and enabled. FWIW, the prelink config file is in /etc/sysconfig and not /etc/default. I suspect that RHEL is configured similarly.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I've only just found out about it, and it really makes a difference and over the last few days since I set this up, there have been no issues that I've noticed.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just set it up there on your recommendation. I've found booting and app loading to be much faster in 9.04. It's one of those things that you miss when you go looking for new features as it can be only a fraction of a second but I've definitely felt the benefits over time. Now I originally used prelink back in Mandrake and I actually thought it was enabled in Ubuntu for some reason. Here's hoping it does the job

When I try to run prelink by hand, I get
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/prelink.bin: no files given and --all not used
    Is it safe to use prelink --all? And why does it work for elija without that?
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Hazel, I just set it up on my Ubuntu laptop and after setting /etc/default/prelink to enable prelinking I ran /etc/cron.daily/prelink as advised, and it seems to be working just fine. I'm not sure you want to run prelink.bin directly from the command line like you did.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Hazel, I just set it up on my Ubuntu laptop and after setting /etc/default/prelink to enable prelinking I ran /etc/cron.daily/prelink as advised, and it seems to be working just fine. I'm not sure you want to run prelink.bin directly from the command line like you did.
    I didn't! I ran prelink as suggested and prelink must have set off prelink.bin.

Edit: OK I know what was wrong now. I was in cron.daily and I typed "prelink" instead of "./prelink", so I triggered /sbin/prelink instead of the prelink script. Silly of me! And silly of them to give two different executables the same name.

Wow! Just launched firefox and it came up in 15 seconds. It used to take twice that. Thanks a million, elija!
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Linux User
    How to load application more quickerer!!
    Sounds impressive