Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Future of Openoffice

I used to think that openoffice would do for the productivity suite what firefox did for the web browser. However, more and more it seems to me that openoffice has become stagnant. I thought for sure a project of that magnitude would be able to keep its momentum, especially with the amount of non-oss inclined people I've seen using it. And now it seems that with Oracle's purchase of Sun, things are even more up in the air.
    Is openoffice going to die a slow and painful death or is there still hope? (Assuming it's a dying project, I may be wrong)

If OO is going to be stalling, it may become a second XWindow system.
    A bit old and cheesy, but nevertheless to be found on nearly every free software desktop for there aren't that many alternatives around.
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

KOffice 2 should develop pretty fast now that it has been ported to QT4. (judging from the rapid development of KDE4, after 4.0 was released). This should give enough competition to OpenOffice, which it needs in order to get better.
    Also check Renaissance project, where ideas for UI redesign are posted. Something good will probably come out of this.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I also get the feeling that nothing really new or exciting is happening with OpenOffice these days. However, history has shown that with something this useful, generally the project gets forked and something new and exciting takes its place (Firefox, X.org).
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    How new and exciting does it have to be?

OOo does all I want and then some. It does all that the vast majority of small businesses need and then some.

The majority of of corporates will be using MS Office even if they don't need to.
    Should you be sitting wondering,
    Which Batman is the best,
    There's only one true answer my friend,
    It's Adam Bloody West!

The Fifth Continent

forum.guy
    There is always Go-oo for anyone wanting an enhanced version, but they might also die off should OO.o go down the tubes, or perhaps they'd be in an ideal position to pickup the pieces and carry on with their own version.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by L4Linux View Post
    Also check Renaissance project, where ideas for UI redesign are posted. Something good will probably come out of this.
    The Renaissance project actually does look promising. Another thing I've been worried about is exactly how easy is it to make extensions for openoffice? It seems to me the learning curve is a little steep and things could be made a little easier. I could be wrong though.