Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I brought my favorite live cd's with me to work today, one of my jobs is at a campus computer lab, and low and behold there is no way possible ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Kind of a Let Down

I brought my favorite live cd's with me to work today, one of my jobs is at a campus computer lab, and low and behold there is no way possible at all to boot from CD...

I wonder if a live CD will work on a Mac, someone told me that I have to hold down a key while it boots, not sure which one, in order to boot from CD...

I was really wanting to use Linux while I worked today, but oh well...

you gotta find out how to get into the BIOS settings (mac's have BIOS right? lol i wouldn't know)
    this is usually done by pressing F2,F8, F12, Esc, or Del at bootup, and you can change the boot priority(make it check the cd drive first)

Linux Engineer
    Yeah, but at the lab all of the computer's permissions are locked down, no way into the bios, cannot even access the hard drive, only a small 2 gig works in progress drive...

gotta be a way, gotta be a way...

Would a live CD work on Mac?

maybe chroot into the livecd environment. can't you open a UNIX shell on Mac?

Linux Engineer
    Thats right you can with osx, thanks so much man, didn't think of that at all!

for mac,2 options hold down the C key, or use a program like bootX when you reboot, just make sure you have a MAC or PPC live CD, one made for an x86 will not run correctly if at all.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Engineer
    Ahh, ok, thanks, now I have to find a Mac/PPC live version, but oh well, there's gotta be one out there! :P

Just Joined!
    I was gonna say pull the CMOS battery, and give it 10 seconds. But Macs? who knows?

You should see if you can have one of the computers in the lab dedicated to UNIX. Tell them that for your class you have some proprietery UNIX application. hehe

They should ease up on the all Microsoft computer labs. With the Licensing and stability issues people are going to have to learn integration anyway.

My work is all Windows, but I talked my IS department into letting me have a linux workstation and they let me, but I have to support it myself. I would go nuts if I didn't have a linux box. It interates well the samba and smbclient and openoffice integrates well in office. Ya I got it good.

We have a MAC Graphics department too. The new MACS are pretty cool the little I get to play on them. The MAC users treat these things like there their wives. They don't let me play on them often. I haven't figured out the gui yet but the terminal works awesome.

I feel you pain about not being able to use linux at work.

Good Luck

Linux Engineer
    One thing good about abhorring windows at the lab is that at least I am learning the mac gui, cant use the terminal though, for security reasons they have it set where it is impossible to access ... ah well, at least I can spend the time learning shell commands writing them on notebook paper and trying them out when I get home!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast