Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Can you prove it? Bring a testimonial from your priest and you may apply!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Can you prove it? Bring a testimonial from your priest and you may apply!

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    Can you prove it? Bring a testimonial from your priest and you may apply!
    LOL, next he'll be asking you to say 5 hail marys and 3 our fathers.

In my first post, on the right hand side of my screen, there is a program that tells me what my CPU usage, CPU temp, how much RAM is being used etc,etc. That is conky.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    LOL, next he'll be asking you to say 5 hail marys and 3 our fathers.

In my first post, on the right hand side of my screen, there is a program that tells me what my CPU usage, CPU temp, how much RAM is being used etc,etc. That is conky.
    I do the same (CPU, RAM and Network) with screenlets
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

On my Icewm and Fluxbox Desktops Elija it is easier to run and configure Conky than to try and install Desklets. So on a lighter weight Desktop Enviornment it just makes more sense to run Conky. That is why I use and run Conky.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    On my Icewm and Fluxbox Desktops Elija it is easier to run and configure Conky than to try and install Desklets. So on a lighter weight Desktop Enviornment it just makes more sense to run Conky. That is why I use and run Conky.
    I'm not dissing it Roky, I now know what it is and it turns out I'm already doing it but differently I've configured screenlets on Gnome and XFCE but I can easily see that the lighter the environment the harder it would be to configure. Without making it *ahem* unlight *ahem* that is!!
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

oz
    forum.guy
    Come on people, I know ya'll got some funky looking conky's out there, lets have 'em.
    It's been a couple of years since I last ran conky, but I liked it very much and usually ran it with any of the lightweight window managers, but I've been back to KDE and Gnome for the last couple of years and use their system monitor applications.

That said, here's a screeny (you'll have to click several times to get to full resolution) of my old conky setup, along with the rc file, although I figure the rc file would no longer work properly with all the changes that have likely occurred during the last couple of years:

Code:
    # Conky configuration
    #
    # set to yes if you want Conky to be forked in the background
    background no

# Use Xft?
    use_xft yes

# Set conky on the bottom of all other applications
    own_window_hints below

# Xft font when Xft is enabled
    xftfont Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:size=8

# Text alpha when using Xft
    xftalpha 0.8

# mail spool
    mail_spool $MAIL

# Update interval in seconds
    update_interval 2

# This is the number of times Conky will update before quitting.
    # Set to zero to run forever.
    total_run_times 0

# Create own window instead of using desktop (required in nautilus)
    own_window no

# Use pseudo transparency with own_window?
    own_window_transparent yes

# If own_window_transparent is set to no, you can set the background colour here
    own_window_colour hotpink

# Use double buffering (reduces flicker, may not work for everyone)
    double_buffer yes

# Minimum size of text area
    minimum_size 110 2

# Draw shades?
    draw_shades yes

# Draw outlines?
    draw_outline no

# Draw borders around text
    draw_borders no

# Stippled borders?
    stippled_borders 6

# border margins
    border_margin 1

# border width
    border_width 1

# Default colors and also border colors
    default_color white
    default_shade_color black
    default_outline_color black

# Text alignment, other possible values are commented
    #alignment top_left
    #alignment top_right
    #alignment bottom_left
    alignment bottom_right
    #alignment none

# Gap between borders of screen and text
    # same thing as passing -x at command line
    gap_x 12
    gap_y 4

# Subtract file system buffers from used memory?
    no_buffers yes

# set to yes if you want all text to be in uppercase
    uppercase no

# number of cpu samples to average
    # set to 1 to disable averaging
    cpu_avg_samples 2

# number of net samples to average
    # set to 1 to disable averaging
    net_avg_samples 2

# Force UTF8? note that UTF8 support required XFT
    override_utf8_locale no

# Add spaces to keep things from moving about?  This only affects certain objects.
    use_spacer no

# stuff after 'TEXT' will be formatted on screen

TEXT

${color grey}|   ${color grey}cpu:  ${color #ffffff}$cpu%   ${color grey}|   ${color grey}ram:  ${color #ffffff}$memperc%   ${color grey}|   ${color grey}swap:  ${color #ffffff}$swapperc%   ${color grey}|   ${color grey}processes:  ${color #ffffff}$processes   ${color grey}|   ${color grey}running:  ${color #ffffff}$running_processes   ${color grey}|   ${color grey}eth0 down:  ${color #ffffff}${downspeed eth0} ${color grey}k/s   ${color grey}|   ${color grey}eth0 up:  ${color #ffffff}${upspeed eth0} ${color grey}k/s   ${color grey}|   ${color grey}/: ${color #ffffff}${fs_free_perc /}% ${color grey}free   ${color grey}|   ${color grey}/home: ${color #ffffff}${fs_free_perc /home}% ${color grey}free   ${color grey}|   ${color #ffffff}${time %a}  ${color grey}${time %b %d}  ${color #ffffff}${time %l:%M}   ${color grey}|${offset 30}
    As can be seen, I preferred a conky that went all the way across the screen rather than all be clumped into one small area, and I had the window manager set so that no window would ever cover up any of the conky stats.
    oz

I know Elija. I am having fun watching you and segfault do the dance on a friday. Very enternaining.

Here TBob is my VIRGIN conky.rc on a fresh install of AntiX 8.2 on a 8 gig External SDHC flash drive for my Asus EEEpc 900 that I wanted to dual boot with Xandros. I even wrote a How To on How I did it with Screenshots. (Takes a bow)

WFimage File Viewer

Code:
    # set to yes if you want Conky to be forked in the background
    background yes

cpu_avg_samples 2
    net_avg_samples 2

out_to_console no

# X font when Xft is disabled, you can pick one with program xfontsel
    #font 7x12
    #font 6x10
    #font 7x13
     font 8x12
    #font 7x12
    #font *mintsmild.se*
    #font -*-*-*-*-*-*-34-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
    #font -artwiz-snap-normal-r-normal-*-*-100-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1

# Use Xft?
    use_xft no

# Xft font when Xft is enabled
    xftfont Kristen ITC-7

own_window_transparent yes
    own_window_colour hotpink

# Text alpha when using Xft
    xftalpha 0.8

#on_bottom no

# mail spool
    mail_spool $MAIL

# Update interval in seconds
    update_interval 1

# Create own window instead of using desktop (required in nautilus)
    own_window no

# Use double buffering (reduces flicker, may not work for everyone)
    double_buffer yes

# Minimum size of text area
    minimum_size 5 5
    maximum_width 200

# Draw shades?
    draw_shades no

# Draw outlines?
    draw_outline no

# Draw borders around text
    draw_borders no

# Stippled borders?
    stippled_borders 0

# border margins
    border_margin 10

# border width
    border_width 2

# Default colors and also border colors
    default_color white
    default_shade_color white
    default_outline_color white

# Text alignment, other possible values are commented
    alignment top_left
    #alignment top_right
    #alignment bottom_left
    #alignment bottom_right

# Gap between borders of screen and text

gap_x 10
    gap_y 10

# Add spaces to keep things from moving about?  This only affects certain objects.
    use_spacer right

# Subtract file system buffers from used memory?
    no_buffers yes

# set to yes if you want all text to be in uppercase
    uppercase no

# boinc (seti) dir
    # seti_dir /opt/seti

# Possible variables to be used:
    #
    #      Variable         Arguments                  Description                
    #  acpiacadapter                     ACPI ac adapter state.                   
    #  acpifan                           ACPI fan state                           
    #  acpitemp                          ACPI temperature.                        
    #  adt746xcpu                        CPU temperature from therm_adt746x       
    #  adt746xfan                        Fan speed from therm_adt746x             
    #  battery           (num)           Remaining capasity in ACPI or APM        
    #                                    battery. ACPI battery number can be      
    #                                    given as argument (default is BAT0).     
    #  buffers                           Amount of memory buffered                
    #  cached                            Amount of memory cached                  
    #  color             (color)         Change drawing color to color            
    #  cpu                               CPU usage in percents                    
    #  cpubar            (height)        Bar that shows CPU usage, height is      
    #                                    bar's height in pixels                   
    #  downspeed         net             Download speed in kilobytes              
    #  downspeedf        net             Download speed in kilobytes with one     
    #                                    decimal                                  
    #  exec              shell command   Executes a shell command and displays    
    #                                    the output in torsmo. warning: this      
    #                                    takes a lot more resources than other    
    #                                    variables. I'd recommend coding wanted   
    #                                    behaviour in C and posting a patch :-).  
    #  execi             interval, shell Same as exec but with specific interval. 
    #                    command         Interval can't be less than              
    #                                    update_interval in configuration.        
    #  fs_bar            (height), (fs)  Bar that shows how much space is used on 
    #                                    a file system. height is the height in   
    #                                    pixels. fs is any file on that file      
    #                                    system.                                  
    #  fs_free           (fs)            Free space on a file system available    
    #                                    for users.                               
    #  fs_free_perc      (fs)            Free percentage of space on a file       
    #                                    system available for users.              
    #  fs_size           (fs)            File system size                         
    #  fs_used           (fs)            File system used space                   
    #  hr                (height)        Horizontal line, height is the height in 
    #                                    pixels                                   
    #  i2c               (dev), type, n  I2C sensor from sysfs (Linux 2.6). dev   
    #                                    may be omitted if you have only one I2C  
    #                                    device. type is either in (or vol)       
    #                                    meaning voltage, fan meaning fan or temp 
    #                                    meaning temperature. n is number of the  
    #                                    sensor. See /sys/bus/i2c/devices/ on     
    #                                    your local computer.                     
    #  kernel                            Kernel version                           
    #  loadavg           (1), (2), (3)   System load average, 1 is for past 1     
    #                                    minute, 2 for past 5 minutes and 3 for   
    #                                    past 15 minutes.                         
    #  machine                           Machine, i686 for example                
    #  mails                             Mail count in mail spool. You can use    
    #                                    program like fetchmail to get mails from 
    #                                    some server using your favourite         
    #                                    protocol. See also new_mails.            
    #  mem                               Amount of memory in use                  
    #  membar            (height)        Bar that shows amount of memory in use   
    #  memmax                            Total amount of memory                   
    #  memperc                           Percentage of memory in use              
    #  new_mails                         Unread mail count in mail spool.         
    #  nodename                          Hostname                                 
    #  outlinecolor      (color)         Change outline color                     
    #  pre_exec          shell command   Executes a shell command one time before 
    #                                    torsmo displays anything and puts output 
    #                                    as text.                                 
    #  processes                         Total processes (sleeping and running)   
    #  running_processes                 Running processes (not sleeping),        
    #                                    requires Linux 2.6                       
    #  shadecolor        (color)         Change shading color                     
    #  stippled_hr       (space),        Stippled (dashed) horizontal line        
    #                    (height)        
    #  swapbar           (height)        Bar that shows amount of swap in use     
    #  swap                              Amount of swap in use                    
    #  swapmax                           Total amount of swap                     
    #  swapperc                          Percentage of swap in use                
    #  sysname                           System name, Linux for example           
    #  time              (format)        Local time, see man strftime to get more 
    #                                    information about format                 
    #  totaldown         net             Total download, overflows at 4 GB on     
    #                                    Linux with 32-bit arch and there doesn't 
    #                                    seem to be a way to know how many times  
    #                                    it has already done that before torsmo   
    #                                    has started.                             
    #  totalup           net             Total upload, this one too, may overflow 
    #  updates                           Number of updates (for debugging)        
    #  upspeed           net             Upload speed in kilobytes                
    #  upspeedf          net             Upload speed in kilobytes with one       
    #                                    decimal                                  
    #  uptime                            Uptime                                   
    #  uptime_short                      Uptime in a shorter format               
    #
    #  seti_prog                         Seti@home current progress
    #  seti_progbar      (height)        Seti@home current progress bar
    #  seti_credit                       Seti@hoome total user credit

## antiX additives examples. Add below Text##
    ##${color cccccc}battery: ${color cccccc}$acpiacadapter, ${battery_percent BAT1}% 
    ##${color white}battery:${color white} ${battery}
    ##Witeless example##
    #${color cccccc}Wireless:
    #${color cccccc}essid: ${wireless_essid wlan0}
    #${color cccccc}IP:${color cccccc} ${addr wlan0}
    #${color cccccc}speed: ${color cccccc} ${wireless_bitrate wlan0}
    #${color cccccc}link strength: ${color cccccc} ${wireless_link_bar 7,50 wlan0}

# stuff after 'TEXT' will be formatted on screen

TEXT
    ${color white}$sysname $kernel
    ${color white}Uptime: $uptime
    ${color white}${time %a %d %b %k:%M}

${color white}Monitors:
    ${color white}cpu: ${color white}${cpu}%
    ${color white}ram : ${color white}$mem${color white}/${color white}$memmax ${color white}- ${color white}$memperc%
    ${color white}swap: ${color white}$swap${color white}/${color white}$swapmax ${color white}- ${color white}$swapperc%
    ${color white}processes: ${color white}$processes  ${color white}running: ${color white}$running_processes

${color white}Space:
    ${color white}Root:${color white} ${fs_free /} ${color white}= ${fs_free_perc /}%
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    It's been a couple of years since I last ran conky, but I liked it very much and usually ran it with any of the lightweight window managers, but I've been back to KDE and Gnome for the last couple of years and use their system monitor applications.

That said, here's a screeny (you'll have to click several times to get to full resolution) of my old conky setup, along with the rc file, although I figure the rc file would no longer work properly with all the changes that have likely occurred during the last couple of years:
    Nice ozar. Unfortunately for me all it did was cause KDE to throw up an all white background on my screen.

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    I know Elija. I am having fun watching you and segfault do the dance on a friday. Very enternaining.

Here TBob is my VIRGIN conky.rc on a fresh install of AntiX 8.2 on a 8 gig External SDHC flash drive for my Asus EEEpc 900 that I wanted to dual boot with Xandros. I even wrote a How To on How I did it with Screenshots. (Takes a bow)
    Looks good roky, I haven't had time to check this one out yet, I will later this evening.
    Thanks guys.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

oz
    forum.guy
    Nice ozar. Unfortunately for me all it did was cause KDE to throw up an all white background on my screen.
    Sorry, Mike... I was afraid that it wouldn't be much good to you as old as it is.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Sorry, Mike... I was afraid that it wouldn't be much good to you as old as it is.
    That's ok, I am finding a lot of conkyrc files that do not work for me at all, even after editing them.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast