Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi guys!! For my final year project(B.Tech) , we have decided to develop "SYSTEM RESTORE" in ubuntu. Existing s/w: I googled and found that sbackup helps to backup and restore. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

System Restore in ubuntu!

Hi guys!!
    For my final year project(B.Tech) , we have decided to develop "SYSTEM RESTORE" in ubuntu.

Existing s/w:
    I googled and found that sbackup helps to backup and restore.
    I found it will not help in the following situation:

a, I updated 9.04 and next time I could not enter the desktop due to erratic display in the monitor.
    Now I could not use sbackup to restore.

Many developers' suggestions:
    Restore points should be added to the grub menu which would help general ubuntu users to restore back ubuntu to stable state sans any confusion.
    We would like to implement this idea and i would like to get ur feedbacks reg this( based on feasibility, idea etc)?

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

I like the idea and think it would benefit lots of users. Hopefully, it would be something that could be used by other distros as well.

Do let us know how it goes.
    oz

Linux Guru
    I like the idea also. All I have right now as a sort of Back up that works like a System restore for Gnome Desktop is THIS. It just requires bash access to run it. Maybe you could incorporate it into the Grub menu. I don't know. I also in Mint Fluxbox 6 RC1 and AntiX 8.2 have a one click function in the menu to backup system into a tar.gz into my /home folder. That might be another route to think of if access to those to be incorporated into the grub menu. Good luck with your project.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hi guys!!
    We have finalised our project.
    We hope u guys can provide us valuable inputs during the coursr of our pjt.
    We ll keep u updated in this thread.
    We ll start our pjt by this year end

Adding to grub? --I think that will be more tricky.

I have attempted some thing like windows system restore for linux last year,(due to lack of time..)-no progress on that.

I would suggest you to have close look into windows restore functionality. Try and improve those features and integrate it in your tool.

All the best !!!
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Thanks Mr.Lakshmipathi.G for ur reply.
    May we know why u say that adding an entry in grub is 'tricky'?
    To how much extent u did the pjt and how much duration u took for the implementation?
    Also how did u approach the pjt design?

I know as a fact that a lot of users will benefit from such an application.

Exclamation

May we know why u say that adding an entry in grub is 'tricky'?
    As per my understanding,grub deals with root file system and kernel file.
    How you are trying to set a restore point from grub? - I can't understand it.

To how much extent u did the pjt and how much duration u took for the implementation?
    Also how did u approach the pjt design?
    I tried to enhance/modify my exiting tool (Which restores deleted files) but haven't worked on it further.
    For design I have tried to replicate windows system restore - like allocate a specific space first,then allow
    users to create restore points on specific date and time.(set auto restore points - before installing or remove applications)

Once restore point is created ,backup the chosen directories - both data and meta data. in the previously allocated space in .gz format.If users want to revert to back earlier time,take data from .gz file and place it back (yes - more like the funcationality backup and restore).
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Hmmm, the reason for incorporating the option of restore points in grub menu is that it will allow to restore the system even when OS becomes non-bootable.
    Also Vista is said to have this option.

Exclamation

Hmmm, the reason for incorporating the option of restore points in grub menu is that it will allow to restore the system even when OS becomes non-bootable.
    yes,that would be more useful ,but complex to creat , may it could be done. - But i don't know exact procedure. - Good luck for your project !!!

Also Vista is said to have this option.
    Never mind ...even M$ fans are shifting from vista to XP
    -----

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast