Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hello everybody, I have joined this web forum because I bought a few months ago the new EeePC 1000 with Linux. It is a wonderful machine and operating system in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Working with EeePC 1000 Linux

Hello everybody,

I have joined this web forum because I bought a few months ago the new EeePC 1000 with Linux. It is a wonderful machine and operating system in regards to web access, e-mails, chatting, etc. however, I am struggling to customise and update the machine accordingly.

The main problem is with updating auxiliary software i.e. Java software. I wanted to work with torrents to download movies which is not very easy with Linux so I was referrred to Azureus but Azureus requires the latest update of Java. Could anybody help me how to do this on the EeePC 1000?

I went on Java website and followed all sorts of instructions but none worked. For some reason I can't find the terminal option on the EeePC which would allow me access Linux OS directly. I only have icons and applications on my screen which do not allow me to do what Java's website tells me to do. Then when I download self-extracting Linux files they don't self extraxt or maybe I am missing the point here. How will they self-extract?

So, please take my innocent hand guide me through the world of Linux and EeePC 1000.

many thanks and waiting for as many blind dogs as possible

Andreas

To get a terminal in Xandros, the linux distro on the eeepc, hit CTRL+ALT+T.

Eee PC Tips: A crash course in Linux
    Installing software on the EEE - quick beginner's guide [EeeUser Eee PC Wiki]

There are a lot of torrent clients for linux. Azureus is now called vuze.

Frankly, I think it's painfully slow, in large part because it is a java app. I recommend Deluge if you want a full-feuatured client or transmission, for a lighter simpler client.

If you're feeling adventurous, you might try installing a different linux flavor. The two main systems that are used in netbooks, Xandros for the eeepc and Linpus Lite for the Aspire, are by most accounts pretty terrible. A lot of folks like Easy Peasy.

easypeasy - for netbooks

Just Joined!
    that's excellent help - many thanks. However, I see that you are a linux engineer and I am a novice!

I would like to be adventurous but I don't want to mess around with a running system. Coming back to your easy peasy - once I have installed the OS, will I have the similar icons to what I have at the moment? The reason asking is that my wife is using the machine as well and she is even more unskilled than me - at least I try!

If Vuze is painfully slow, is Deluge better under my current linux version or do I need to install easy peasy first?

many thanks

Deluge would probably run better on your system. Xandros is based on Debian, so you should be able to find it in the Synaptic package manager.

Easy Peasy has it's own look to it. There are some screenshots here. Review: Easy Peasy 1.5 Released Begin Linux Blog

Full disclosure, I haven't used Easy Peasy, but I've heard good things. And my experience with Xandros lasted about an hour before I installed Arch Linux for a friend on her eeepc.

Just Joined!
    thanks for the advice.

I have started to download the files i.e. linux source files and the helper application file. How do I start the helper application? Or do I just reboot and see what happens from the USB stick?

Sorry for asking stupid questions.

Just Joined!
    sorry for requiring your help again, reed9.

I have rebooted now several times and I always get an error saying: NTLDR is missing. I have on my USB stick only the two files i.e. linux source and the helper application files.

Don't change Boot order to USB first. Just Boot up Normal with USB inserted and it should pop up a window asking if you wish to open with file manager.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

For the little I know of it, NTLDR is missing is a windows error and has to do with the windows bootloader. Are you trying to create a bootable flash drive with Easy Peasy on a windows machine?

Can you go through the steps you've taken more explicitly?

I was wondering about Ntldr missing but Linux Xandros was mentioned which I run so Replied for Xandros. I wonder if Linspire uses a NTLDR maybe? Sounds strange?
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    I have managed to get the helper application to be executable. But now I can't copy with that application the linux download onto the USB stick (as adviced on the website). This Linux world is totally new for me but I will not give up.

Do you think I can just copy the downloaded easypeasy-1.5.img.iso file onto the USB stick and reboot? I have tried that a few times

1. reboot and press ESC
    2. go to USB option and select
    3. NTLDR is missing error occurs

after that I remove the USB stick and let the machine boot up normally.

any advice?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast