Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Watched Stargate Universe. Smiled when it had the guy from Train Spotting as the lead scientist. Thought that making a internet gamer his side kick was a bit weak though. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Watched Stargate Universe. Smiled when it had the guy from Train Spotting as the lead scientist. Thought that making a internet gamer his side kick was a bit weak though. But that is just me I guess. Like the lost in Space between galaxies idea though. Can't wait to see what new aliens come into play as the series progresses. I never got off on the Ori episodes. I liked Ronon Dex and the Wraith. Must be the biker in me. And the Goa'uld and Tilk was my cup of tea also. Love the physical stuff. Cerebal stuff like in the Ori episodes just didn't do it for me.
    And the mechanic in me liked howthe replicators evolved so as to survive no matter who got in the way. Even the Asgard.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    And the Goa'uld and Tilk was my cup of tea also.
    As it turns out, each series has had a major character that I didn't like at first. With SG-1, it was Teal'c (Christopher Judge), but after watching a few episodes I grew to like him very much. With Atlantis, it was Colonel Sheppard (Joe Flanigan), but again, I grew to like him very much after a few episodes. With Universe, it's Colonel Telford (Lou Diamond Phillips), but I've never been a fan of his, so don't know if he'll be able to change that in the new series. I'm anxious to find out, though.

Edit: Telford's role in Universe isn't all that major, at least yet, so it probably won't matter if his character grows on me before the end of the series.
    Last edited by oz; 10-07-2009 at 01:55 AM.
    oz

I am a HUGE SG-1 fan, me and the wife watch it at least 3 - 4 times a year (all 10 seasons, we have the boxed set). We have all the movies, and watch them as well.

I was reluctant to watch Universe as Atlantis kind of lost its way towards the end (and I have most seasons of Atlantis on DVD) but I am glad I did. I don't know if Lou Diamond Phillips will grow on me or not (as I don't like him anyway) but the series looks to be satisfying to my sci-fi side.

I can't wait for more episodes of Universe to find out what it is going to turn in to. The story of the Ancients is the best story in the Stargate series I think.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I watched it last night and it did chop about a bit! It has potential so I'll stick with it for a while and see how it goes.

I think one of the best Atlantis episodes is the one that I call "When Teal'c met Ronan!"
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    I think one of the best Atlantis episodes is the one that I call "When Teal'c met Ronan!"
    I don't think I've seen that one yet, but would like to.

I always get a chuckle when it takes everyone close by to keep Ronon off of any Wraith that happen to be in the immediate vicinity, even when the Wraith character is trying to be of help in some way.
    oz

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    I don't think I've seen that one yet, but would like to.

I always get a chuckle when it takes everyone close by to keep Ronon off of any Wraith that happen to be in the immediate vicinity, even when the Wraith character is trying to be of help in some way.
    Can't say I blame him (Ronan) for that, given they used him for hunting and target practice after they (the Wraith) "harvested" his entire planet! But yeah, I liked the episode when he and Teal'c first met - two very alpha males circling each other and snarling I think I recall...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Anyway, I watched the new Stargate Universe the other night and think it has some promise. It should be a good survival adventure. Unfortunately, I've always been a bit disappointed in how the Stargate developers have given such short shrift to the language thing - as though every civilization throughout the universe is going to speak perfect english! At least in the Star Trek universe they had the forsight to postulate the existence of a "universal translator" device, much like Hitchhiker's Guide had the Babelfish...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Anyway, I watched the new Stargate Universe the other night and think it has some promise. It should be a good survival adventure. Unfortunately, I've always been a bit disappointed in how the Stargate developers have given such short shrift to the language thing - as though every civilization throughout the universe is going to speak perfect english! At least in the Star Trek universe they had the forsight to postulate the existence of a "universal translator" device, much like Hitchhiker's Guide had the Babelfish...
    True, although (and I say this with much love for Star Trek) they did kind of fall into the whole "all aliens are bipedal humanoids" trap most of the time.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    True, although (and I say this with much love for Star Trek) they did kind of fall into the whole "all aliens are bipedal humanoids" trap most of the time.
    And one planet = one culture. At least Stargate has an explanation for that one. And in the early episodes of SG1 there was a fair nod at the language barrier but I guess it got old for the writers

So who are your favourite alien race from Stargate? I have trouble deciding between the Asgard and the Nox.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    And one planet = one culture. At least Stargate has an explanation for that one. And in the early episodes of SG1 there was a fair nod at the language barrier but I guess it got old for the writers
    They kind of tried to explain the bipedal humanoid thing with an episode called The Chase in TNG.

Ex Astris Scientia - Aliens with Human Appearance

The idea that humans were actually alone in the universe was also explored in Grant Naylor's excellent Red Dwarf books.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast