Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 95
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #21
    Linux Guru Rubberman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Posts
    13,201

    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    True, although (and I say this with much love for Star Trek) they did kind of fall into the whole "all aliens are bipedal humanoids" trap most of the time.
    Yeah, but they did come up with sentient rocks!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

  2. #22
    Linux Guru Rubberman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Posts
    13,201
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    And one planet = one culture. At least Stargate has an explanation for that one. And in the early episodes of SG1 there was a fair nod at the language barrier but I guess it got old for the writers

    So who are your favourite alien race from Stargate? I have trouble deciding between the Asgard and the Nox.
    For the good guys, I like both the Asgard and the Nox. For the bad guys, I really like the (shades of Erector Set) Replicators! AI meets nanotech. Of course I can't see why plain old slug throwers could be so effective against them, at least at the small component level. According to the show, it was because the low velocity projectiles somehow interfered with the subspace fields that held the nano parts together. As though low kinetic energy weapons could break atomic-level bonding! Ha!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

  3. #23
    Linux Guru techieMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Yeah, but they did come up with sentient rocks!
    Tommy Webber: Go for the mouth, then, the throat, his vulnerable spots!
    Jason Nesmith: It's a rock! It doesn't have any vulnerable spots!

    Galaxy Quest (1999) - Memorable quotes

    Registered Linux user #270181

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #24
    Linux Newbie thesimplecreator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    washington , USA
    Posts
    229
    well stargate and star trek both sorta explained why everone looked "human-like":

    in star trek(mainly in the books) they talk about how some race way back when most likey planted all the different alien races on different planets, and that they all started out the same but there planets changed them... I remember reading that in a few different books but that was over a year ago.

    in stargate theres some weird storyline tsisting the ancients and asgard and whatnot. and part of it was that the different false gods spread the humans around the universe.

    I like both star trek and stargate alot. i started getting iffy towards the end of sg-1, seems like they ran it into the ground a bit much, but atlantis was awesome and so was the first episode of SGU. can't wait till tommorows episode.
    Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems.
    Linus Torvalds

    Personal and politically centrist blog.--->
    http://www.deathnerd.com

  6. #25
    Linux Guru Rubberman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Posts
    13,201
    Quote Originally Posted by thesimplecreator View Post
    well stargate and star trek both sorta explained why everone looked "human-like":

    in star trek(mainly in the books) they talk about how some race way back when most likey planted all the different alien races on different planets, and that they all started out the same but there planets changed them... I remember reading that in a few different books but that was over a year ago.

    in stargate theres some weird storyline tsisting the ancients and asgard and whatnot. and part of it was that the different false gods spread the humans around the universe.

    I like both star trek and stargate alot. i started getting iffy towards the end of sg-1, seems like they ran it into the ground a bit much, but atlantis was awesome and so was the first episode of SGU. can't wait till tommorows episode.
    Yeah. I remember something in TNG that was peripherally about the "ancient" race, but I don't recall the episode(s). That can explain the stereo vision, bipedal prevalence of "intelligent" life in the galaxy, but it does nothing for the language thing. Languages change and evolve over a relatively short period of time, to where they have so diverged from the root that they are no longer the same language in any understandable sense, at least without serious study. At least that can be explained away by some sort of technological (or biological) gizmo that auto-magically translates for you.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

  7. #26
    Linux Guru techieMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Yeah. I remember something in TNG that was peripherally about the "ancient" race, but I don't recall the episode(s).
    See my previous post.

    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...tml#post733171

    It was "The Chase." Season 6, episode 20.
    Registered Linux user #270181

  8. #27
    Linux Guru Rubberman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Posts
    13,201
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    See my previous post.

    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...tml#post733171

    It was "The Chase." Season 6, episode 20.
    Ah! Doh! Too much going on...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

  9. #28
    forum.guy
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    arch linux
    Posts
    18,732
    After watching another new episode of Stargate Universe tonight, I'm liking it much better than I thought might be the case just from watching the previews before it was released.

    So far, it appears to be a great show!
    oz

  10. #29
    I liked both SG-1 and SG-Atlantis shows. The problem is that they are cable shows, and I will never pay for TV.

    The shows were available as reruns, shown late Saturday night/Sunday morning. I recorded what I could, but the episodes shown became inconsistent.

    Is there a way to watch the Hulu versions fullscreen in Linux? It seems to be a major problem to do this, and I can point you to numerous threads about this at the AVS-Linux HTPC forums. No one there has found a solution, that doesn't involve Windows.

    Is there a good way to download it, covert it, then watch it? How do you guys watch the show?
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

  11. #30
    Linux Guru Rubberman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Posts
    13,201
    Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    I liked both SG-1 and SG-Atlantis shows. The problem is that they are cable shows, and I will never pay for TV.

    The shows were available as reruns, shown late Saturday night/Sunday morning. I recorded what I could, but the episodes shown became inconsistent.

    Is there a way to watch the Hulu versions fullscreen in Linux? It seems to be a major problem to do this, and I can point you to numerous threads about this at the AVS-Linux HTPC forums. No one there has found a solution, that doesn't involve Windows.

    Is there a good way to download it, covert it, then watch it? How do you guys watch the show?
    I don't get cable, or broadcast TV. I download commercial-free HD 720p rips from usenet. Usually someone will post them within an hour or two of broadcast. A standard 45min show (1hr less commercials) at 720p (mkv format) is about 1.1GB. Usually they post HD mp4 avi versions as well, which are only about 350MB. The quality isn't as good as the 720p but very decent anyway if you don't have the bandwidth to download the 720p versions. FWIW, these are multi-part rar sets with a reasonable amount of par2 recovery files included. There are usable Linux rar and par tools to deal with the data sets you download; however, I do prefer QuickPar, a Windows tool which works just fine under Wine. My current download favorites are Doctor Who (alt.binaries.drwho), various SciFi shows and movies (alt.binaries.multimedia.scifi), and current TV sci-fi shows such as SG-U, Dollhouse, and Merlin (alt.binaries.multimedia).

    Anyway, I was able to download SG-U last night within an hour or so of the broadcast. On my 5mbps DLS link it took about 1/2 hour for a 1.1GB 720p HD copy, which is fine by me.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •