Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I finally got around to trying the latest version of Google's Chromium web brower earlier today, and after a few hours of use I couldn't wait to remove it and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Chromium Web Browser

I finally got around to trying the latest version of Google's Chromium web brower earlier today, and after a few hours of use I couldn't wait to remove it and return to Firefox. For whatever reason, it felt slow and clunky compared to Firefox so it didn't appeal to me at all.

None of the three different extensions that I tried worked very well with it, and the fonts looked terrible. They were bold and fuzzy, and didn't look anything like the fonts on the rest of the Arch/KDE4 system that it was running on. Overall, it simply felt too incomplete to retain a place on my computer in its current state, but I'll certainly be trying it again after it matures some.

That said, I am glad that Chromium is out there because I know some users are already very fond of it, and because the competition that it will create between web browser developers should be a good thing for end users.

So, is Chromium working any better for any of the rest of you that have tried it?
    oz

I still have it on my computer but I do not use it because I can not print anything using it. I do not use the Firefox browser on my computer either.

I use Seamonkey, with its many profile possibilities, most of the time, followed by Konqueror, and I use Epiphany to manage my web site. Rarely I use Opera and Galeon.

I recently read that the E.U. has reached an agreement with microsoft that an update will show a pop up window for the other available browsers beside IE.

Although I am not computer competent I believe the browser competition is going to result in faster and simpler to use browsers all around!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Slow and Clunky??? Well, if that's the case then it's a lot different from Chrome on on XP.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by fguy64 View Post
    Slow and Clunky??? Well, if that's the case then it's a lot different from Chrome on on XP.
    Yeah, I've not tried it on XP, but I suspect that the Linux version is different in a number of ways. Glad it's working well for you on XP.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Yeah, I've not tried it on XP, but I suspect that the Linux version is different in a number of ways. Glad it's working well for you on XP.
    It is my understanding that a lot of the speed advantage that Chrome is known for is a bit of smoke and mirrors. It uses some kind of pre-loading so that additional tabbed panes seem to open a lot faster. Perhaps that kind of approach is not well suited to Linux? Just guessing.

Also, I believe that Chrome and Chromium are more or less the same thing under the hood, if not then my comments are not relevant.

I've tried it before in the past and been unimpressed. I decided today to give it another shot. I regret that decision. Here's my thoughts after a whopping 5 minutes of use (I couldn't stomach any longer).

No Google box. It may be a small thing, but I like that in Firefox. You'd think something made by Google would offer easy access to Google Search.

Extensions aren't enabled by default. Bad design choice. Enabling them requires command-line options or a registry key hack in Windows. Are you freaking kidding me?

I noticed no performance improvements over Firefox in Windows XP. If this is the best Google can offer, they can take their browser and shove it. Stick to search and free email, guys. It's what you do best.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I've been using Chromium (the chromium-browser-bin package from the AUR) on my Dell Mini 9 with Arch for a while now, and I find it to be significantly more responsive than Firefox. The Arch package enabled extensions and such by default as well, so the end user doesn't see the command line options passed.

None of the three different extensions that I tried worked very well with it, and the fonts looked terrible.
    Odd, my fonts look completely normal.

No Google box. It may be a small thing, but I like that in Firefox. You'd think something made by Google would offer easy access to Google Search.
    This seems like a small thing to me. The address bar doubles as the google search box - type anything that isn't a URL and it does a google search.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Google Chrome on 64bit Ubuntu is frighteningly fast. I can't comment on Chromium though.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    I've been using Chromium (the chromium-browser-bin package from the AUR) on my Dell Mini 9 with Arch for a while now, and I find it to be significantly more responsive than Firefox.
    I'm using the 64-bit Chromium package from the 'extra' repo, so that might be the difference.

Odd, my fonts look completely normal.
    Apparently, I'm not the only Arch user having the weird fonts issues:

Arch Linux Forums / Chromium and font
    oz

I've been using Chromium (the chromium-browser-bin package from the AUR) on my Dell Mini 9 with Arch for a while now, and I find it to be significantly more responsive than Firefox. The Arch package enabled extensions and such by default as well, so the end user doesn't see the command line options passed.
    The Windows version does not. I find that odd and annoying.

This seems like a small thing to me. The address bar doubles as the google search box - type anything that isn't a URL and it does a google search.
    Good to know, but without easy access to things like Adblock, I won't surf the web with it. Sites I look at everyday (yes, even this one) are overwhelmingly distracting without it.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast