Find the answer to your Linux question:
Usually all articles in Linux Magazine are way over my head and out of my league of comprehension. However this article about the five distros that changed Linux is for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Five Distros article in Linux Magazine

Usually all articles in Linux Magazine are way over my head and out of my league of comprehension. However this article about the five distros that changed Linux is for me an eye opener!

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7651/1.html
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

oz
    forum.guy
    I've successfully run all but two of them (Caldera & RHEL) many times.

In my opinion, Mandrake (now known as Mandriva) was another one that changed the course of Linux. Lots of new Linux users found it very easy to use, so it strengthened their self confidence with Linux while getting them off to a great start.
    oz

I kind of agree, though I would not have tried Mandrake had it not been for two reasons:
    1) Red Hat dropping the public distro with 9 (shrike).
    2) it was the only distro I could get a module for my new air+ wireless card (TI chip)

I managed to convince others to try it, but its registration approach I think was its downfall and sent me looking for another distro. I don't think I'll be abandoning OpenSuSE on my better computers any time right off.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy

regarding mandrake/mandriva

Yes, I agree and used Mandrake a few times, but lost interest in it shortly after they created Mandrake Club, and have never used it since it became Mandriva. Still, I'm glad that it continues for those that enjoy running it.
    oz