Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by nujinini I have tried to introduce linux to some friends but sad to say, they still refuse to "see the light" Perhaps the reason they refuse to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by nujinini View Post
    I have tried to introduce linux to some friends but sad to say, they still refuse to "see the light"
    Perhaps the reason they refuse to try Linux is that very statement. People don't like being told that they're ignorant. If you want to bring someone over to your side in anything the absolute worst thing to tell them is "your way is wrong."

There are ways to "enlighten" someone about a different point of view while still being respectful to them and their intellect. Simply because someone uses an operating system they've likely used since birth does not make that person unintelligent or "unenlightened." It makes them human. Humans are creatures of habit.

Instead of trying to make Linux sound like the path to Nirvana, try encouraging them to try open-source programs in Windows. There's quite a few. When the opportunity arises, introduce advantages that Linux might offer to them for things they like to do on their computer. If you can't think of any perhaps they would be better served using Windows after all.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Extremely well said, TechieMoe!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Well said and well taken techieMoe

I also try to be very prudent when I talk about Linux to friends. Since this post was made in the Coffee Lounge, I just felt it was just a way of expressing my burden for my friends to realize the advantages linux has to offer. Windows has its advantages also, I believe. Thus the quotation marks
    "see the light"
    But then again, I must say, I agree with everything you said!
    Last edited by nujinini; 12-22-2009 at 05:55 AM.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by nujinini View Post
    I have tried to introduce linux to some friends but sad to say, they still refuse to "see the light"
    Just my thoughts:
    I was using Fedora as my primary distro for years - never changed it. Last year when I tried to migrate to Debian - I found it bit uneasy to replace yum/rpm style with apt-get/dpkg and others.
    Though still i have Debian , I use Fedora as Primary distro .So when Linux user hesitate to change his distros - it's obvious why It's very difficult to shift OS.

back to thread title :
    my linux love story is here http://giis.co.in/LFY.png It gave me hope/life.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    it's obvious why It's very difficult to shift OS.
    Yes, after almost 10 months of trying to learn, and after experimenting with different distros, I still have to decide which one will I choose to call home. I enjoy them all!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    Instead of trying to make Linux sound like the path to Nirvana, try encouraging them to try open-source programs in Windows. There's quite a few. When the opportunity arises, introduce advantages that Linux might offer to them for things they like to do on their computer. If you can't think of any perhaps they would be better served using Windows after all.
    I use this technique,

Them: Man, MS Office is so expensive, but I have to buy it for work/school. I wish there was an alternative
    Me: There is, and it's free.
    Them: really? You're not talking about that silly word pad program are you?
    Me: No, there's a whole Office suite with wrod processing, spreadsheet, presentation basicaly everything you need.
    Them: But my work/school uses MS Office, Wont I have roblems opening my files at home?
    Me: No, compatibility is a very rare issue these days.
    Them: So how can it be free? Someone has to make money from it.
    Me: It's called Open Source Software. Anyone can help add to it and improve it, many people do so just for the sport of it. Some do it for school, and there are some people that are actualy paid for the work they do.
    Them: Wow what's this software called?
    Me: It's called OpenOffice, Just google it and you can download it any time you wish.
    Them: Wow this is really nice, Are you sure this is legal?
    Me: very much so. But people that sell their own software certainly arent going to go out of their way to tell you about it now are they?
    Them: OH! I see, So what else can I get that's free?
    Me: well I'm glad you asked... You see, there's this fantastic Opperating system, that can be very much like windows....
    Seed planted..... Perhaps a Linux user, or better yet a contributer will grow from it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2