Find the answer to your Linux question:
I watched a good presentation awhile back by a guy named Bryan Lunduke on some of the issues with using Linux as a desktop solution. Some of the points that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Why Desktop Linux Sucks - And What We Can Do To Fix It

I watched a good presentation awhile back by a guy named Bryan Lunduke on some of the issues with using Linux as a desktop solution.

Some of the points that Mr. Lunduke makes in his presentation would be to use a common, standard package manager (like MSI for Windows, etc.) and to put more effort into fixing various audio, video, and wireless issues with Linux.

He also mentions that more money is needed to fund Linux development projects. Open-source software is not entirely free as some people mistakenly believe. The open-source projects that are commercially backed (RedHat, Novell, IBM, etc.) and well-funded tend to be the most active and have the most momentum as the author suggests. Linux developers need to be well paid as they don't write code out of the kindness of their hearts.

There would have to be huge infusions of money to step up the funding for the larger, open-source Linux projects. If there is a growing desktop market then software developers like Adobe, Autodesk, etc. will start porting the bigger applications to the Linux platform. I don't see that happening in the current economic climate.

I'm still not completely sold on ever recommending Linux for the consumer market or non-techie user. Linux certainly has its place in the server world, but will it ever gain dominance on the desktop? Doubtful. RedHat, Novell, and Canonical are just not interested in Linux as a desktop OS.

Thoughts? Comments?

oz
    forum.guy
    Sorry, but we don't allow "Windows sucks" threads on the forums, and in that light "Linux sucks" threads aren't and should not be allowed, either. In addition, you've made these points already in one of your other threads, so this post is essentially a duplicate, but without the antagonizing title.

Locking this one...
    oz