Find the answer to your Linux question:
Many many years ago I learned from the teachings of Michio Kushi that it was best for me to sleep with my head pointing to the north and my feet ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Do Cold Temperatures Improve Sleep?

Many many years ago I learned from the teachings of Michio Kushi that it was best for me to sleep with my head pointing to the north and my feet pointing to the south.

If I go to sleep now in a bed I will awaken with my head to the north and my feet to the south. Mr. Kushi claimed that our bodies " Recharged Properly " while sleeping that way.

I ran across this article today entitled: Do Cold temperatures Improve Sleep by Joseph Mercola.

I do not like a chilly bedroom.

I have known women that liked to sleep under a lot of blankets; which I also do not like to do. At any rate here is a link to the article!!

Do Cold Temperatures Improve Sleep? by Joseph Mercola
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    Many many years ago I learned from the teachings of Michio Kushi that it was best for me to sleep with my head pointing to the north and my feet pointing to the south.
    Well, what do you know, I've been sleeping "properly" since we got our new house and didn't even know it. Here I thought we put the bed that way to free up the electrical outlets on the opposite wall.

I ran across this article today entitled: Do Cold temperatures Improve Sleep by Joseph Mercola.

I do not like a chilly bedroom.

I have known women that liked to sleep under a lot of blankets; which I also do not like to do. At any rate here is a link to the article!!

Do Cold Temperatures Improve Sleep? by Joseph Mercola
    I find that I sleep better in cold or stormy weather, but I'm a naturally warm person. I can't sleep when I'm hot, or when it's too quiet. I tend to have a fan running regardless of the temperature.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I remember seeing a documentary of something like the science or discovery channel that attributed sleep disorders and disturbances to temperature. I personally think it comes down to what each individual feels most comfortable.

I can tend to sleep best when I'm kept warm but in a cool and sometimes downright chilly environment. I remember sleeping on a glacier near the summit of Mt. Shasta when I was 15 years old. Probably some of the best sleep I ever got. Temperature in our ice shelter was 32F degrees, temperature outside was -10F. I've never slept so good.

I sleep best when it is cold in the room. I used to sleep with the windows cracked in the winter time. Wife didn't like that at all so went back to windows closed, heat turned down and fan turned on.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

I have a cousin who used to always complain the she never got enough sleep ( even though she spent 10 to 12 hours in bed ). Her problem was that she slept with her head to the south and feet to the north.

A week after changing her bedroom around she gave me a sweet potato pie as a gift. If you sleep with your head to the north not only do you get " recharged " but you only need five hours of sleep to accomplish that recharging.

Even though I live in New York City I need at least two windows open all year round so that the outside air is always flowing through my apartment.

There is no doubt in my mind, Djarum, that if I went to sleep in temperatures that were below freezing; I would just die!!
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid

Cold air is more dense and thus expands the lungs easier as it warms up. I find it easier to breath in cold air, sleeping or not. The rest of my body definitly prefers to be warm.

Also, I always thought the head pointing North thing was just so you could find your way when you woke up; from the days of the lone traveler. Cool find CL, thanks.

Thanks D-Cat!! I see you have been given Guru status, BRAVO!!

I'm still trying to reach infant!
    Linux user # 414321

It's a simple matter of biology, you should sleep in a cold-ish room. I've had doctors and nurses tell me that if you sleep in a room that is too warm or with too many blankets your body has to work harder to maintain the correct body temperature, you are in fact tiring yourself out. While it's true that your body temperature drops during sleep it doesn't completely stop generating heat. Best stick to just the one duvet when you can

As for all of that sleeping oriented to the north, well I'll wait until there's empirical data to suggest that's a good idea. Some measurable benefit at least, I don't lend my lifestyle to hearsay or conjecture.
    Last edited by bigtomrodney; 12-23-2009 at 12:48 PM.

Hi All,

I'm an Hindu Indian and I just want to share what's written in our holy books regarding Infrastructure of our houses!
    I follow the same routine of sleeping from my early childhood.
    No offense meant to anybody's belief...just a piece of information from my side.

"Beds should be placed so that when one sleeps the head is directed towards the south, east, or west, but never towards the north. A personís body is a tiny magnet with a north and south pole. Oneís head is the north pole. The universe is also a magnet (a very big magnet!) with a north and south pole. Polaris, the north star, is the north pole of the universe. Place two magnetic poles together and there is a repulsion. So to sleep with oneís head in the directions of the universeís head is the same as placing two north poles together. There is repulsion. Therefore sleep will be better when the head is placed towards the south or another direction other than north. "

Regards

No offense taken!! Everyone has different teachers that they usually hold in high regard. Everyone is completely entitled to their own opinion about anything and everything!!
    Linux user # 414321