Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: What is your favorite Linux distribution for new users?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fedora

6 7.50%
  • Debian

7 8.75%
  • Ubuntu (any variety)

33 41.25%
  • Mandriva

3 3.75%
  • OpenSUSE

9 11.25%
  • Slackware

0 0%
  • Mint

16 20.00%
  • Damn Small Linux

0 0%
  • PCLinuxOS

3 3.75%
  • Other (please specify)

3 3.75%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Sorry D-cat. I was talking about people being rude while being rude myself. BTW, I used to like Mint before Ubuntu 10 came out....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sorry D-cat. I was talking about people being rude while being rude myself.

BTW, I used to like Mint before Ubuntu 10 came out.

Linux User
    I bought a Dell Inspiron Mini with Ubuntu 8.10 pre-installed, which was very nice. Once I upgraded to 9.10, it was even nicer. Ubuntu has drivers for Dell netbooks and notebooks, so things like suspend, and battery-power mode work smoothly.

The important thing is to stay up-to-date with the latest releases. I will upgrade to 10.4 as soon as I get a chance to back-up my disk, but since everything works so well as it is now, it's hard to get myself motivated to do it.

Just Joined!
    Although my 2 favourites are sidux and Fedora KDE, I voted for Mint, because everything I've seen about it (reviews and screenshots) shows it as being very intuitive. It also seems to explain what things do, quite well

I'd like to finally re-phrase my vote...

I still like Fedora for newbies, even though you might actually have to do a little post install configuration to get everything up and running (mp3, flash), but it's easy to do with the right documentation, and you learn a few things right away.

But I have to say, if all you want is a smooth looking, easy to use system right off the starting block, Mint makes it happen!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Distros that aren't too "committed" to the GNU thing are the ones that are the easiest, IMHO. This is why I have loved Mint, though I had to stop using it for Wifi reasons.

Btw, I choise Mandriva because I just like it lol

As a newbie, I started with Ubuntu because I read that it was easy. Then I discovered the forum and distrowatch, and have tried live cd's on quite a few. Ubuntu is still the one I keep on my desktop, but I revived an old laptop with Puppy, and plan to intrduce my wife and grandkids to PCLinuxOS.

Cool

I recommended PCLinux OS for new users. The problem is the package management system for a new user (at least for me was difficult to use apt-get, yum install, etc.) Once that is out of the way linux starts getting friendly...

-D-

Registered User # 402675

For the grandkids computer, that is an advantage. I don't know how you could trash a system with installs in linux, but they have managed that several times in the other system. The wife may complain, but on her computer she will quickly catch on, once she uses linux.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    For the grandkids computer, that is an advantage. I don't know how you could trash a system with installs in linux, but they have managed that several times in the other system. The wife may complain, but on her computer she will quickly catch on, once she uses linux.
    ehh, don't be too sure about that.

Left my Fedora 10 PC unattended with 3 young cousins, and the OS refused to boot into my desktop environment after that. Don't know what the hell those 3 were messing with.

And anyway, you do not always need to have the latest, best-est version of your distro. Fedora 13 is out, and I'm contended to still run on 10, simply because i don't have to have to reinstall all my proprietary drivers again after upgrading.

Same goes for my notebook, which has OpenSUSE 11.1 installed. 11.1 is a crappy SUSE release (i should have stuck with 11.0 instead), but after setting everything up and getting the proprietary drivers to play nice, there really isn't any incentive to upgrade to 11.3 (or 11.2) at all.

They are getting older now, but the last few years their concept was I have a disk, or found something online, this is a computer, the game is for a computer, so it must be compatible. That may work for a 98 game on xp, but it sure fouls things up the other way around.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast