Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: What is your favorite Linux distribution for new users?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fedora

6 7.50%
  • Debian

7 8.75%
  • Ubuntu (any variety)

33 41.25%
  • Mandriva

3 3.75%
  • OpenSUSE

9 11.25%
  • Slackware

0 0%
  • Mint

16 20.00%
  • Damn Small Linux

0 0%
  • PCLinuxOS

3 3.75%
  • Other (please specify)

3 3.75%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Originally Posted by Etna And anyway, you do not always need to have the latest, best-est version of your distro. Fedora 13 is out, and I'm contended to still run ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by Etna View Post
    And anyway, you do not always need to have the latest, best-est version of your distro. Fedora 13 is out, and I'm contended to still run on 10, simply because i don't have to have to reinstall all my proprietary drivers again after upgrading.

Same goes for my notebook, which has OpenSUSE 11.1 installed. 11.1 is a crappy SUSE release (i should have stuck with 11.0 instead), but after setting everything up and getting the proprietary drivers to play nice, there really isn't any incentive to upgrade to 11.3 (or 11.2) at all.
    Which is why I started using Arch. With rolling releases, I HOPE I would never need to reinstall again. Besides, it took me days to configure everything to my liking

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kpbotbot View Post
    Which is why I started using Arch. With rolling releases, I HOPE I would never need to reinstall again. Besides, it took me days to configure everything to my liking
    got to admire your patience on that one.

i gave up on Arch Linux 3 hours after i got into it. At that point, i already managed to get myself into the wonderful KDE 4.3 desktop environment, but it was just so much effort for a relatively insignificant payoff that i abandoned ship and went back to Fedora 10.

Guess you could say that Windows (Vista and Win 7) and installer-based distros have spoilt me up to the point where i expect an OS to be up and kicking within 30 minutes. And adding on another 10 minutes to download and install the latest proprietary drivers from Ralink and ATI/Nvidia .

IMO the biggest hurdle to new linux users is the perception that it takes hours and hours to configure linux. Typical users just want a quick install and go-to-work OS. That's also why a lot of users first come to linux through Ubuntu.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    If you want a kde desktop then I would suggest PClinuxOS but for gnome either Ubuntu or Mint.

I've been pretty happy with Ubuntu as a simple distro which you can get up-and-running quickly. Mind you, that's from someone who used Gentoo as a desktop distro for years
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    I voted for Ubuntu. When I started using Linux in Nov. 2009, I decided to try Ubuntu after reading and informing myself about the many distros for a month. It's easy to use if you're used to MS Windows, and I dare say that it's a good OS/distro for anyone completely new to computers in general.

By now I've tried a few other distros as well (Lucid Linux, Zenwalk, DSL, anti-X), and I still find Ubuntu to be the easiest one to install, configure, maintain, and use.

Just Joined!

openSUSE or Mandriva

I think openSUSE or Mandriva as they both have central config tools (YaST and MCC) which make it easy for new users to set up their computer

Just Joined!

Ubuntu

Have been using Linux for over 10 years and have tried most distros. My first was with Corel Linux. However the version I am most happier with is Ubuntu (any flavour).Their repository and install setup is hard to beat and best of all the support from ubuntu forums is tops. For a beginner converting from Windows try a version based on ubuntu and made to resemble windows Ylmf OS-YlmF Operating System

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    That looks impressively like XP which could be counter-productive in that new users will expect it to work like XP as well and that could cause frustration when it doesn't. I like the look of some of the other themes though. Sadly, clicking through to have a look gives a 403
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    I just installed Pinguy on my daughters computer and it is very user friendly. Everything worked right out of the box. Even flash and youtube with sound.

It is not intuitive to find things that are not on the desktop but it is pretty easy to find them without reading instructions.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast