Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: Is auto racing a sport?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, all auto racing is a sport

19 63.33%
  • Yes, but not all forms of auto racing

3 10.00%
  • No

8 26.67%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
For some reason when i was watching Nascar today, the post about wether chess is a sport or not popped into my head. That got me thinking on what all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is auto racing a sport?

For some reason when i was watching Nascar today, the post about wether chess is a sport or not popped into my head.

That got me thinking on what all of you think about auto racing?
    Do you think its a sport?
    Are the NASCAR series not as much a sport because they mostly drive in ovals(no right turns)?

Just Joined!
    I believe even NASCAR is a sport. I'm not even a huge sports fan to begin with. I only actively follow the NHL... this year is great for that...

Car racing involves a lot of mathematics, and technical skill. Most people think of it as 1 person driving a car, but really the driver is only a small part of the team. The pit crew and design team are what really make the cars win. I don't really feel like going into specifics because, quite frankly, I don't like NASCAR. Indy and Rally though... w00.

Linux Engineer
    adding to what raublekick said, i hear those drivers lose like 5 pounds in sweat in one of those races. i don't know if it's a great workout or anything but they definitely require skill and stamina to do that.

Linux Newbie
    maybe some, NASCAR for example, not street racing, i dont think that can be considered a sport, it may be taken as a sport but i disagree.
    Linux is for those who want to know why their computer works.

Registered Linux Machine #293111
    Registered Linux User #371115

its a sport and chess is a mind game, now is wrestling a sport to you too?

tfk
    Linux Newbie
    Does having competition and a winner/loser make autoracing a sport?
    it\'s !Linux; it\'s GNU/Linux!
    [XBill] [GNU] [Viewable with Any Browser] [Drop me a mail]

Quote Originally Posted by imdeemvp
    its a sport and chess is a mind game, now is wrestling a sport to you too?
    Wrestling has always been a sport. "Wrastlin'" (WWF, etc.) is a bunch of scripted crap (IMHO).

I'm an avid NASCAR fan and it definately is a sport. To add to what's been said about it, think of the physical training that it requires to be in shape to drive in that heat for 4 hours. Also, 14 seconds to change 4 tires and fill up the gas tank is a helluva lot faster than I've ever seen anyone change tires.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by LC
    Does having competition and a winner/loser make autoracing a sport?
    that actually makes more sense than what i wrote. sports aren't necessarily based on physical skill. competition is the real sport.

Linux Engineer
    Dunno how Nascar differs from F1 but F1 IMO is nothing more than an expensive parade. All the 'sport' happens in the qualifiers then it tends to be whoever gets first place on the first bend wins it.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Not a sport IMHO. More a test of who's got the better machine then who's the better "athlete".

On the wrestling topic, I agree. Wrestling (the Greco-Roman kind) has been a sport since the first olympics. "Wraslin" or what's on sunday and monday nights here in the states, is entertainment. They've said so themselves.

NOTE: This is not to say that the people who perform in WWE/WCW are not athletes; they're just as much an athlete as any other physical performer (i.e. circus folk, tumblers, trapeze artists). This is also not to say that certain "Wraslin" stars aren't actually very good Greco-Roman wrestlers (Kurt Angle for instance won the 1996 Olympic gold medal for freestyle wrestling, before he was offered a job with WWE).
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast