Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Well, over the weekend I ran into my first blue screen on Windows 7. I've done some digging and it seems to be related to the 64-bit version and video ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

The honeymoon is over...

Well, over the weekend I ran into my first blue screen on Windows 7. I've done some digging and it seems to be related to the 64-bit version and video driver incompatibilities.

I got the first blue screen when waking from a sleep state. It's repeated twice over the course of a couple of days. I've installed an updated video driver to see if that was the culprit. If I can't get it to stop with the blue screens, I'll be going back to Ubuntu, perhaps the 10.04 alpha.

It'll be a shame if I can't get it stable. I actually do really like Windows 7, particularly in comparison to previous versions of MS Windows. I'd hate to have to toss it.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I've had similar frustrations. Somehow, the .NET component on my installation was corrupted and it's preventing me from installing Office (I've tried both the 2007 and the 2010 beta - get the same error on both). There are several web pages describing the same issues I'm having but none of their suggested fixes works for me. I've been meaning to contact Microsoft for support but haven't had the time.

I also wouldn't want to ditch it. It runs pretty well on what is a fairly old machine (Pentium 4 - 2.4GHz, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HD). I especially like the "Run in compatibility mode" feature that you can configure for .exe's. My video card, which is not supported under Windows 7, suddenly becomes usable when you run the WinXP drivers in WinXP mode.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Hope you both get your problems sorted out. I have been running the 64 bit version of Windows 7 for about 2 monts now. So far I've been lucky because everything just works although it took me ages to find the right drivers for my mobile broadband.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    After 30 years in this business I have come to this conclusion - anything but an open sourced operating system is for the birds! Applications, database management systems, et al are anouther thing, but the fundamnetal system MUST be open for general review, enhancement, and security. Anything else is just asking for a great deal of pain, and Microsoft operating systems proves that, at least to me.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I haven't had a repeat of the blue screen yet. There were a lot of updates released yesterday (noticed on my work and home machines) so hopefully either those or the video driver I updated did the trick.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    FWIW, I was a sales rep at ComputerLand when the IBM PC first came out (late 1981), and I started using QNX (called Qunix at the time, until AT&T's legal department got on their case for the name) almost immediately, primarily because it had a C compiler and supported double-sided floppy discs. I sold a lot of IBM and Compaq systems with QNX on them to the US Geological Survey, Ford Aerospace, NASA, et al because of the C compiler (and Unix shell style interface) which wasn't available on DOS for a long time. Bragging rights - I started with Qunix pre-release version 0.7, serial number 0008, or was that version 0.8 and serial number 0007? Oh well, I'll have to dig out the old 5 1/4" floppy and see... Ok, it was serial number 0008. Anyway, that's how I got into realtime programming, since QNX was designed as a realtime OS from the get-go. Its micro-kernel, message-passing design (derived from the Thoth academic research OS project) was way ahead of its time, and still today it is considered perhaps the best for high-relliability, safety-critical, realtime systems. A contemporary of QNX at that time was OS-9, a similar design (realtime, message passing) but for the Motorola 6809 and later 68K chips.

So, for almost 30 years I have been using non-Microsoft operating systems. I've also used and developed significant software applications for every version of DOS and Windows in that same time frame, as well as numerous other operating systems on PC's, mini-computers, and mainframes (I still have my boxes of IBM VM-360/370 manuals, somewhere), ranging from QNX to AT&T Unix to DEC VMS to DEC-10 (if you don't have 36 bits, you're not dealing with a full DEC) to IBM VM-370. Guess which operating system of all those is my LEAST favorite? If you said "the one from the company that Bill Gates owns", you would be spot-on!

Oh, and you can add Pick to the operating systems list that I have spent significant professional time working with. I'd better be careful, or I'll segue into babbling about database management systems...

I have strange issue with Windows 7 , It doesnot support .avi file
    Since I learned windows 7 is better than vista, I kept it as dual boot along with Linux. But Winodws 7 really disappoints me ... then what else you can expect from windows.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Slight bashing here...

Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    ... then what else you can expect from windows.
    A good game of Solitaire or MineSweeper. End of story
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    A good game of Solitaire or MineSweeper. End of story
    Yeah. And most of the Windows games run just fine with Wine... At least the simple ones like Solitaire, Mine Sweeper, Spider.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast