Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm new to Linux, and I'm hoping to do some programming in Linux. Currently I'm working as a programmer on windows platforms. It would be a great help if anyone ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Hey Guys...!

I'm new to Linux, and I'm hoping to do some programming in Linux. Currently I'm working as a programmer on windows platforms. It would be a great help if anyone can tell me which language is the best to start off with. I'm a fast learner. I just wanted to know whether to use C or C++.
    Thanx....
    Tharaka

Quote Originally Posted by Tharaka View Post
    I'm new to Linux, and I'm hoping to do some programming in Linux. Currently I'm working as a programmer on windows platforms. It would be a great help if anyone can tell me which language is the best to start off with. I'm a fast learner. I just wanted to know whether to use C or C++.
    Thanx....
    Tharaka
    If you're already decided between C and C++, you should know there's a lot of overlap with those two languages. Personally, I'd start with C because you can use everything you learn in C++. The latter is really just an improved and extended version of the former. You can write C code in C++ but it doesn't always work the other direction.

You'll find that most of the underlying operating system of Linux is written in C, whereas newer user-level applications tend to be written in C++ or other object-oriented languages.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

General advices in 3 levels
    I- Administration:
    ---1- Study your default AND scripting shell in-depth : Logical OR (sh, bash, csh ,...).
    ---2- Essential tools : Logical AND (awk, sed, grep, ...).
    ---3- perl (Very sweet & useful)
    II- Developer:
    ---1- C
    ---2- C++
    ---3- Building/Compiling/Debuging/... tools in your
    environment(whatever) : such as *make(s)
    ---4- choose & study *(zero or more) Library (on your need/taste) : glibc,upp,gtk,...
    III- Entertainment!:
    ---0- Assembly: for someone maybe a wasting time toolkit!, but for me : When I suffer from Insomnia, I switch it on!

Just Joined!

Smile Hey..!

THANX ALOT....

Now I need to know about the RedHat certifications. From where should I start as a beginner? RH033 or RH133? And are there any certifications for C or C++?

Thanx.....!