Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Originally Posted by Cabhan I have a Kindle 2. The DX is nice, but I do wonder about the pocket convenience with the larger screen, and I have my doubts ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan View Post
    I have a Kindle 2. The DX is nice, but I do wonder about the pocket convenience with the larger screen, and I have my doubts about whether the price is worth it.
    Were I to pick one up, I'd certainly go with the smaller one. I mostly read paperbacks, so the larger screen wouldn't really do much for me. I've been told it's good for folks who like to read periodicals (newspapers, magazines, etc). But for twice the price? Nah, I'll pass.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I find reading on a screen harder than reading on paper and I do enjoy the tactile sensation of a book.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I use my Palm TX as an ebook reader - no DRM for me, thanks! You can hold well over 1000 titles on a 1GB SD card. Right now I have almost 200 books on it and it is only about 10% full. The screen's ok, and the mobi reader can adjust the font for better readability, but it is a pain in direct sunlight. Anyway, I have no interest in any ebook reader that encourages the use of DRM, so it will be awhile before I get something more appropriate for reading.

That said, the main reason I really like ebooks is that I can take that 200 book library with me when I travel. I just stick the Palm in my pocket, and off I go!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Looks to be kind of a split decision so far...

While I don't own an eReader, one of my co-workers has a Kindle that I don't think you could pry from his cold dead fingers. I checked it out one day, and while I must agree that the display had great clarity, it just wasn't the same as actually holding a book.
    There is, for me, just a certain satisfaction of holding a few hundred pages full of the written word that you just can't get anywhere else.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    That said, the main reason I really like ebooks is that I can take that 200 book library with me when I travel.
    Yep, multiple volume portability, trees/paper saved, and easier updates are the main advantages that I see with ebooks/readers. Real books still win when it comes to overall reading pleasure.
    oz

Last night I got to actually play with the Barnes & Noble nook in the store. It's a very cool little gadget. There are some neat little incentives they offer that Amazon does not (and basically can't):

1. Bring your nook into the store and it connects to the store's WiFi, giving you in-store discounts and the ability to browse the full text of any book in the store (that has an ebook version) just like if you picked it off a shelf.

2. Free book downloads that change on a regular basis for in-store nook readers only.

After playing with the nook l'm conflicted. I immediately started doing more research this morning and I discovered that for most purposes the Kindle and nook are identical, including their hardware. There was one significant advantage that I found for the nook though: libraries.

My local municipal library lends out ebooks using several formats, including Adobe Digital Editions, MobiBooks, and ePub. The nook supports ADE and ePub, the Kindle does not support any of the above. So even in the event that Barnes & Noble goes under, I can still check out books from the library and read them on the device for the foreseeable future. That's a definite plus in my book. The nook also uses Google's Android as its OS for those of you who care.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Thanks for the info about the nook techieMoe. Since it is an Android device, it should be possible to install a FOSS mobipocket reader on it. I use my Palm TX as a book reader, and get DRM-unencumbered books from Baen publishing (lots of great sci-fi) in that format, although they support a number of other formats as well. I can download my library (about 200 books) in another format for a new device so it isn't a big issue for me, but it would be simpler just to load the copies I have on my computer now onto the device if I got it.

oz
    forum.guy
    After doing some research, I'd decided already on the Nook as the better option and almost bought one for the wife for valentine's day, but she asked me to hold off, as she's not sure she's ready for an e-reader just yet. We also have the issue of her being extremely rough on electronic products, so I'm not sure it would have lasted through the first week.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    After doing some research, I'd decided already on the Nook as the better option and almost bought one for the wife for valentine's day, but she asked me to hold off, as she's not sure she's ready for an e-reader just yet. We also have the issue of her being extremely rough on electronic products, so I'm not sure it would have lasted through the first week.
    Just an anecdote: generally demo units in stores get pretty beat up. I don't know how long this particular nook hat been sitting there, but it looked like it had put up with some use and stood up well. The buttons were still responsive and clicky (rather than loose, as demo units can tend to be). Again, I don't know how hard it was abused; just that this one seemed pretty tough.

I tend to be pretty easy on gadgets, and my target areas for using an eReader are likely to be non-threatening. I read on the bus to and from work and occasionally on my couch at home or in a hotel. It's not like I plan on going cross-country skiing with it.

The nook has an expandable memory slot on it too (like the original Kindle) so it's got the potential to carry one hell of a library in it, or MP3s if that's your cup of tea.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I gotta wonder if Borders will come out with an eBook. I like them better than B&N.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast