Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
I have a toughbook, and so far, no problems. I don't generally abuse it, but it did survive coming off my motorcycle at 120 km/h ( about 70 mph). I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

I have a toughbook, and so far, no problems. I don't generally abuse it, but it did survive coming off my motorcycle at 120 km/h ( about 70 mph). I'm sure the carrying case contributed to the survival also.
    Registered Linux User #420832

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal343 View Post
    I have a toughbook, and so far, no problems. I don't generally abuse it, but it did survive coming off my motorcycle at 120 km/h ( about 70 mph). I'm sure the carrying case contributed to the survival also.
    That kind of reminds me of the original laptop - the Grid Compass. It wasn't battery powered (the plasma display used too much juice, but that was in the early 80's), but it had a aluminum/magnesium case that you could run over with a truck and not break it! For persistent storage it had magnetic bubble memory instead of a disc drive. Not a lot of storage (about 340KB), but it would last forever without power. Here's a Wikipedia article about it: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...i/Grid_Compass
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal343 View Post
    ...wow. What kind of case do you have, carbon fiber?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    No, it's an older (10 years) Targus fabric case with good gel-type packs holding the laptop on bottom and both ends.
    Last edited by Hal343; 12-14-2010 at 02:30 AM. Reason: more info
    Registered Linux User #420832

Well, my classmates have found out that a Thinkpad is supposed to be able to withstand a lot of abuse. Since then I keep finding a particular classmate trying to throw my laptop of the table or taking punches at my screen.

The laptop still doesn't have a scratch, but I don't like it though. If he wants to test it all, he'll have to purchase one himself, as I'm not going to waste 860 Euros on that.

I am going to turn him in, for I really don't like what he's doing. He has actually succeeded throwing my laptop of the table at one point, and he doesn't seem to get the fact that I don't like that.

Well, at least my laptop can actually take some punishment, as when I'd do the same, I'd have to refund 1000 Euros straight away.

So I don't really know which is better, the Toughbook or the Thinkpad. For my situation the Thinkpad is best, but on the other hand, if I want it to withstand the classmates, I think the Toughbook is best (It's actually designed for severe punishment, as where the Thinkpad is only designed to keep your machine safe when encountering regular abuse, such as accidentially dropping the machine or spilling a cup of coffee over the keyboard).

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, I think you are looking for the wrong product. Try buying a nice aluminum baseball bat, then when this bonehead whacks your laptop, you just give him a good quick whack upside the head. When he complains, just say "Well, I thought you were supposed to be tough and could take a solid whack or two!"... Anyway, I expect that you won't have any more trouble from him!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

problem is, I'm pretty non-violent, but I'll think about it

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9