Find the answer to your Linux question:
Past few weekends,I'm worked on giis for ext4. I have tested it in Fedora 12, 64 bit. I'm looking for alpha testers (proper credits will be given in THANKS file ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Smile giis for ext4

Past few weekends,I'm worked on giis for ext4. I have tested it in Fedora 12, 64 bit.
    I'm looking for alpha testers (proper credits will be given in THANKS file of the project )
    These are the environment I'm looking for,
    Debian
    Ubuntu
    Redhat
    Mandriva
    or any other distro you like.

Only requirement I can think of,
    1.sqlite-devel packages
    2. e2fsprogs-devel package

If you have these environment and interested in testing the tool. Let me know. I hope to release it by Feb-7th 2010.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Woud a VM environment be OK?
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Lightbulb

I was not sure about it ,so I have checked it with Virtual box + Ubuntu 9.04 , Yes,VM environment works too . I have installed following packages
    sudo apt-get install sqlite3 libsqlite3-dev
    sudo apt-get install e2fslibs-dev
    and compiled and installed it and then deleted a file and recovered it
    So VM should work for other distros as well.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Exclamation

Thanks Elija, without your support , It would taken looonger time to release giis-ext4 0.1

Hello LF members,
    Here it's Index of /giis , ext4 undelete tool.giis-ext4
    uses ext2fs lib and sqlite,thus provides better/best performance than
    giis for ext3.

giis-ext4 has less than 1000 LOC which is almost 5 times less original
    than giis and giis-ext4 took just around 6 weekends (approx 15
    days , 2hrs / day) thanks to ext2fs library

Feedback/comments on giis-ext4 are most welcome.
    -----

You know Lakshmipathi, I often wondered what your avatar was...sorry I never released you had developed this project!

Can you give us a brief overview...it's an undelete tool you say?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    You know Lakshmipathi, I often wondered what your avatar was...sorry I never released you had developed this project!
    yes, giis avatar was designed few years back in 2006 and still using it

Can you give us a brief overview...it's an undelete tool you say?
    Sure. giis is a fail-safe/undelete tool.You can protect important directories/files in ext2/ext3/ext4 using giis. So that if an important file is deleted (using rm -rf) by mistake. It can be recovered/restored using giis. giis takes a back-up of file's metadata , thus it will be used to recover any deleted file.At user specified auto update time ,say every 20 minutes , giis will run to look for any new files or modification and record them to meta data inventory.
    It has various recover options like, get specific user files or get by file type or even by deleted date .You can check out the giis-gui recovery screencasting from here http://www.giis.co.in/giis_gui_recovery.swf for giis ext3.

Now newly released giis-ext4 supports ext4 file system Performance(time taken to update files) of giis for ext3 very poor compared to giis-ext4.
    -----