Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
As a sideline to the oracle/sun thing. I'm a java guy so I spend a lot of time with the java tutorials and API documents. I noticed Oracle changed the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

As a sideline to the oracle/sun thing. I'm a java guy so I spend a lot of time with the java tutorials and API documents. I noticed Oracle changed the font on both sites. After I got used to the change, I found the new version easier to read.

Linux User
    My two cents :

One day, Sun JRE will be like IBM JRE for Windoz, you'll get it alongside Oracle products only.

cheesecake42 should ponder at this : will MySQL be still here or worthwhile in 3, 5 and 10 years ?
    0 + 1 = 1 != 2 <> 3 != 4 ...
    Until the camel can pass though the eye of the needle.

it will be worthwhile, there is a vast community supporting it, some people will pick it up or even some other company could sell support for it and help maintain it, the code can always be forked

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by nmset View Post
    My two cents :

cheesecake42 should ponder at this : will MySQL be still here or worthwhile in 3, 5 and 10 years ?
    It's possible as long as oracle doesn't screw it up. I have a feeling that Oracle isn't going to know what to do with an open source product. If this weekend's website change is any indication, they will more than likely pretend the community edition does not exist but not pursue litigation against people that use it. If they do end up screwing this up, 10 years from now there will propobly be a new open source database system to take over the mysql market. The open source ideology isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I just went to mysql.com and they added a "download" tab to the front page where you can download the community edition. It's still not listed under products though.

postegresql, a lot of people use it in play of mysql, it doesnt have the cooperate backing like mysql did but in this case that might be somehting to look forward to if mysql goes away. but, there were some reasons people didnt use it in place of mysql, i think mostly it didnt have the scalability yet mysql does.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Linux User
    i think mostly it didnt have the scalability yet mysql does
    It's quite the opposite, PostgreSQL scales linearly with the number of CPUS and disks.

MySQL had a company behind and this mainly accounts for its widespread use in my view. From load stress tests I performed on same hardware, if MySQL rates at 1, Apache Derby rates at 10 and PostgreSQL at at least 60 !!! That's worthy of respect.
    0 + 1 = 1 != 2 <> 3 != 4 ...
    Until the camel can pass though the eye of the needle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2