Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Oracle officially owns mysql now. I went to their site today to download a copy of the community edition and it's nowhere to be found. I'm sure I can look ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

soooooo wheres mysql?

Oracle officially owns mysql now. I went to their site today to download a copy of the community edition and it's nowhere to be found. I'm sure I can look around and find a copy with a little effort, but still. If Oracle wants to keep their promises to the open source community, they could start by allowing people to download the software from the website.

Linux User
    I think you'll find it at MySQL :: Download MySQL Community Server

I ended up finding it there but only because I found the link in one of my MySQL books. They should really have an actual link to it from MySQL.com

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    They only have to make it available; they don't have to make it obvious. Although to my way of thinking not doing so is against the Open Source Spirit.

But is anyone really suprised they went that way?
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

google is hard to use

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    google is hard to use
    That's not the point here. In my case typing dev. in to Firefox is enough

If Oracle were keeping their promises or rather the spirit of their promises and not just the letter of them, there would be a clear link from the MySQL home page. As Sun had.

Many people will end up at the MySQL home page and not realise that the software is free. Which is a shame.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

really scares me when it comes to java, anyone know where that stands? sun gpl's like 98% of the code, but still, they are the main controllers of the code and they hold rights to all the marketing stuff like logos and crap. so now with oracle at the helm, does that mean that java will not be completely open?

oracle for a long time relied heavily on java for most of its users to interface with oracles database, by being in control of java now, could we see other databases have crappier support? and what about javafx? is that completely gpl'd yet?

i dont really know what type of a company oracle is, they made their millions selling a proprietary database system to major companies and charging tons of money for it, now, that doesnt make them a bad company, in the business world, charging money is just how it is, thats why redhat gets away with selling a free OS for lots of money. its all about he assurance of technical support and stuff a client company expects(but often doesn't get) for the high costs. but oracles pricing scheme seems reminiscent of microsoft (they apparently, charge per processor of the system running the software, along with adding additional fees for random things one would assume part of the general functionality of a program.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin20 View Post
    really scares me when it comes to java, anyone know where that stands? sun gpl's like 98% of the code, but still, they are the main controllers of the code and they hold rights to all the marketing stuff like logos and crap. so now with oracle at the helm, does that mean that java will not be completely open?
    At least not their implementation of it.
    Luckily, there are others available for developers who want to make sure their software has no dependencies on proprietary parts of the language/runtime. (OpenJDK, IcedTea)

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin20 View Post
    and what about javafx? is that completely gpl'd yet?
    No.
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I had the exact same problem a few days ago. In the past you could just go to mysql.com and choose either the community or the enterprise version, but the option to download the community version seems to have been yanked from the site. I ended up searching for "mysql community" on google and found a link to the dev site.

mysql still in your package manager repos anyway

i wouldn't worry about mysql, there is a huge community around it
    there is the openjdk, but it isn't as good as the sun jdk, i'm not sure what they will do with it, since they already have the jrockit jdk (formerly BEA)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast