Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi to all, new to this group... how to run programs/ applications of windows over linux..... can u help me out in this regard tripathi...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thumbs down run programs/ applications of windows over linux

hi to all,

new to this group...

how to run programs/ applications of windows over linux.....
    can u help me out in this regard

tripathi

Linux is not windows, it can not natively run windows applications.

Wine is a software that allows some windows applications to run on linux, though they may or may not run or work correctly.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    Linux is not windows, it can not natively run windows applications.

Wine is a software that allows some windows applications to run on linux, though they may or may not run or work correctly.
    Also, there are a number of virtual machine managers for Linux that allow you to run the entire Windows operating system, and hence all its programs, as a guest OS under Linux. Some are fully free and open source, others are proprietary but free for personal/educational use, others are proprietary and require purchasing a license to use. Myself, I use Wine for a number of Windows applications, including Framemaker, Photoshop, and my DVD authoring software. For some Windows applications that I use, Wine doesn't work at all, so I run them in a virtual machine using Sun's (now Oracle's) VirtualBox software, which has both an open source version as well as a proprietary (free for personal use) version. The free proprietary version is what I use since it seems to be a bit more stable than the FOSS version.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!