Find the answer to your Linux question:
A Canadian Air Force Colonel, and commander of Canada's largest and busiest Air Force base, has been charged with two counts of first degree murder of women, and assorted other ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

There's not too much that shocks me, but...

A Canadian Air Force Colonel, and commander of Canada's largest and busiest Air Force base, has been charged with two counts of first degree murder of women, and assorted other crimes of a sexual nature. One of the victims was an air force member posted at the base he commands.

As a Canadian myself, who supports his military, this one is a colossal downer.

Military faces backlash after colonel charged

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    There are predators in any sufficiently large population grouping, and the military certainly meets that classification. If he is guilty, I hope they "throw the book" at him and give him life at hard labor without possibility of parole.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I agree with Rubberman, large groups of people will produce the same results anywhere. We had a shooting Nov 2009 at Ft Hood, TX. The most populous US Base.
    Fort Hood shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Adrift in an ever-expanding universe, quietly contemplating the wondrous and the inevitable.
    While this case does cause some alarm, I can assure you it pales in comparison to what happens in other parts of the world. What makes this case noteworthy is that it happened on Canadian soil and the body was dumped with little apparent regard for discovery.

As for the suspect's connection with the military, I wouldn't read too much into that. So he was an officer. They're not infallible. What concerns me more are the rash of so-called 'honor killings' being executed in Europe and N. America. This is not our culture, and I don't appreciate such a barbaric practice being pushed down our throat.

qv

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    There are predators in any sufficiently large population grouping, and the military certainly meets that classification. If he is guilty, I hope they "throw the book" at him and give him life at hard labor without possibility of parole.
    Oh sure, I know that we can talk about statistics and the law of averages and all that, and say there's nothing too surprising under the sun. But we're talking about one of the victims being in the service of her country and falling victim to a thrill killer who was also her commanding officer, and being killed and dumped on the base, and that to me is a shock no matter what you say about the law of averages.

And questio, this has n relation with honor killings, it's apples and oranges. Although I share your repugnance of the practice, it is something else altogther.

p.s. the bit about population size. It irrelevent. I'm sure we could come up with some scientific analysis that there is no reason why we should be surprised about the President of the Untited States committing a violent crime in the White House. After all, politicians are a pretty large population

When I was a child one of the sermons I got from my grandfather was that; under the right set of circumstances, each and every human being can become capable of killing another human being!! The inhumanity that our species is sometimes capable of seems to be totally unlimited!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!