Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just wondering if any of you have been watching Caprica , the new television series out now that is a spin-off from Battlestar Galactica ? "Caprica" (2009) I bring this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Caprica (on SyFy Channel)

Just wondering if any of you have been watching Caprica, the new television series out now that is a spin-off from Battlestar Galactica?

"Caprica" (2009)

I bring this up because I've tried to watch it 3 different times and can't even begin to find any interest in it, whatsoever. This bugs me because Battlestar Galactica was one of the top sci-fi series of all times, at least in my own opinion.

Could it be that I'm not giving it a fair chance, or do any of you also find it just downright boring, and uninteresting?
    oz

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I haven't been watching it but that's just because the trailers on Sky One left me completely underwhelmed
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

I like it, but it's important to distance it in your mind from BSG. It's not at all the same kind of show. It's still an interesting science-fiction-slanted drama, but it's not another BSG. There will likely be some who liked BSG who don't like Caprica, and vice-versa. Me, I like both for different reasons.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I'm enjoying this vision of the genesis of the Cylons. Quite clever, IMO. They've done some very intelligent projections based upon where we are today with virtual reality and current developments of direct computer<-->brain interfacing. Just think, battle-bots being run by the intelligence and angst of teenaged girls! As a father of one (once upon a time), and grandfather of 2, I can totally relate!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Off-topic - what idiot decided to change the name of the SciFi channel to SyFy? It almost looks/sounds like some sort of STD...

oz
    forum.guy
    I think it was back in March of 2009 that they decided to change it, and think it had something to do with trademarks.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    I think it was back in March of 2009 that they decided to change it, and think it had something to do with trademarks.
    Trademarks and station identification, if I remember correctly. On a lot of DVRs the cable and satellite providers use the guide only lets you have 4 letters to identify your channel. SCIF wasn't as descriptive as SYFY, or at least that's what I heard.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    Trademarks and station identification, if I remember correctly. On a lot of DVRs the cable and satellite providers use the guide only lets you have 4 letters to identify your channel. SCIF wasn't as descriptive as SYFY, or at least that's what I heard.
    And I suppose they couldn't use SF as that kind of is owned by San Francisco... Oh, well. If that was the case, then why can't they still use SciFi for the on-screen logo, and syfy for the DVR/Channel listings? Or simply SiFi? No doubt a decision made by committee.

oz
    forum.guy
    Thanks to each of you for your thoughts on Caprica.

I've pretty much decided to pass on it at least for now, but might wait a little later in the season and then tune in once again to see if it has improved any. If it does get better, perhaps the missed episodes can be watched either online, or through Netflix.

Hope those of you that are enjoying it continue to do so.
    oz

If you have a subscription to a decent usenet news server, such as giganews.com, then you can download the episodes from the alt.binaries.multimedia group. They get posted as .avi files (about 350MB) and HD 720p .mkv files (about 1.1GB). FWIW, giganews keeps binary postings for almost a year now, so if you missed something back when, you can usually still get it. I find that comes in handy when I am on vacation or a business trip and want to play catchup.