Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am starting this thread to discuss Android in general, and smart phones such as the HTC or NexusOne in particular in order to share problems, solutions, hacks, etc. My ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.

Android smart phones

I am starting this thread to discuss Android in general, and smart phones such as the HTC or NexusOne in particular in order to share problems, solutions, hacks, etc. My reason for this is simple - I recently came into possession of a Google NexusOne and am starting on my journey of discovery with this really nifty device. Any input, feedback, etc is welcome as long as it is more or less on-topic.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I'm running the HTC Legend. It is outstanding as far as I'm concerned. I haven't even had need to root it or hack around...it just does everything I want. Now I'm not against hacking oh no no.....

How are you getting on so far with the NexusOne?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    I'm running the HTC Legend. It is outstanding as far as I'm concerned. I haven't even had need to root it or hack around...it just does everything I want. Now I'm not against hacking oh no no.....

How are you getting on so far with the NexusOne?
    I'm liking it pretty much. Still getting used to working with a smart phone. The on-screen keyboard works really well, and the word-completion feature makes "typing" on it quite efficient. However, I don't think it will support "thumbing" very well, though I have to admit not trying that yet. The camera doesn't handle color well in some situations, but again I haven't tried to adjust the white and color balance. My next bit of work on it will be to activate and tune the voice recognition software when using either the phone directly, or more importantly when using my bluetooth headset for driving.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well, after almost 2 years, I am still using my N1 on a daily basis! My new job at Nokia came with a Symbian N8 phone, which is REALLY nice, and has a superb camera! Because it supports all of Nokia's VPN's and other work-related applications, it is something I use every day, but there are things that I really prefer my N1 for. Anyway, I think I will still be using the N1 for a couple of more years, or until it breaks!

Who knows, maybe I can get one of our new Meego-based N9 phones soon, "for testing purposes"...

Just Joined!
    Has anyone ever rooted a phone using Linux (Ubuntu in particular)?

I've rooted using Windows, but am getting a Nexus S as a backup phone. I've read that getting root is fairly easy in Linux, but most of the instructions predate 11.04 and the phone!

Anyone?

Thanks

Well, I've rooted my Android Nexus One, but I haven't tried to install another distribution such as Ubuntu or Debian on it. There is too much of the hardware driver cruft that is still proprietary, and would be difficult to install on other than Android.

Just Joined!
    I'm getting an unlocked Nexus S. I will want to root it as I don't want the social stuff. I want to see how fast some databases work from the phone and not the card. I have a lot of nature guides and astronomy programs and I want more.

I have rooted a TMO SGS4g just to get rid of FB, Twitter, Maps, Latitude and the carrier bloat. I rooted using Windows and I'd like to try using Ubuntu to root the Nexus. The SGS moves most stuff to the card.

Thanks

Well, I think you are on the bleeding edge. My Android device(s) is personal, and while I can install non-standard software on it since it is rooted, I don't do a lot of that, and haven't tried to install a different OS on it, porting/installing the required hardware drivers and such. I still want to use it in a mostly "normal"manner...

Just Joined!
    I haven't played with custom ROMs, either. I just don't like certain things. About the only thing on this phone to get rid of is maps, latitude, places, possibly a few more. At least there is no carrier bloat.

I simply don't like navigating by GPS. I'd far rather have a printed map. Easier to memorize written than pay attention to some stupid voice that doesn't say anything far enough ahead of time.

My phone is just a massive PDA. It looks like I can add quite a few more nature and astronomy apps. Saves me from toting 5 or 6 guidebooks around..

Thanks

I'm pretty much with you on that. FWIW, if you have rooted your phone and put a shell on it, you can pretty easily remove cruft you don't want, and just ignore stuff you aren't interested in, like GPS. The hardware/firmware is already on the phone, and the software part doesn't take up much space, but getting rid of stuff like the Facebook and Twitter apps is useful - a lot of wasted space that you don't need as long as you have a decent web browser.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast