Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Greets all. I joined these forums today and am a newbie to Linux. I have run it very briefly in the past so I know what it looks like and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

My name is Dwalin and I am a Linux newbie.....

Greets all. I joined these forums today and am a newbie to Linux. I have run it very briefly in the past so I know what it looks like and how to navigate around in it, but thats about it. I'm looking to make it my primary desktop for all but gaming.

Since I am a new user to Linux, I'm sure I'll ask some dumb questions around here, but just bear with me as I learn it more and more. I'm a quick learner, but sometimes just need to some backup on making sure I'm doing the right thing.

Anyway, looking forward to using Linux more and learning it more. You'll see me around here often I'd imagine!

Linux Engineer
    Welcome to the forums, I hope that you find everything you need!

Hi Dwalin,
    What Linux disto did you decide on? I am glad to see another Linux conformist. As you migrate remember try to keep an open mind and try to think of Linux as "different" not harder. In most cases when I started I would get really mad trying to figure something out just to find out there was an easier way of doing it. (In a lot of cases somethings are easier than windows) An example is in some of the services, the only thing that is needed to get it running is a valid ip address and then to start the service.
    What I am trying to say is Welcome to the Forums, ask all the questions you want, and have fun with the migration.
    Mike

Just Joined!
    Right now I'm playing around with RH9, although I'm open to other ideas as well. I want this to be my primary desktop for everything but a couple games I play that will require Windows be installed since no one can come up with a stable Linux version. So far, however, I LOVE Linux and the premise behind it. I just hope that as I work with it that I can learn it more thourougly.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome and I'm going to be around here quite often I feel

From one newbie to another, good luck, and i must tell you, it's quite fun looking around here for answers and sharing with everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwalin
    Right now I'm playing around with RH9, although I'm open to other ideas as well.
    Red Hat 9.0 is a great place to start. I started with Red Hat 5.1 and stuck with it till Fedora. I then changed to slackware and even with the knowledge I had it wasn't the easiest transition, but now that I have worked out most of the bugs I like it a lot better. I think the Red Hat 9 is a great starting point but if you really enjoy this you will eventually move onto a distro with a lot more freedom and a lot more power.

I am actually running a WISP on 6 RedHat 9.0 pro boxes right now. Let me know if have any questions.

Mike

Linux Newbie
    i use fedora core 2 almost like redhat, and i like it fast system
    Linux is for those who want to know why their computer works.

Registered Linux Machine #293111
    Registered Linux User #371115

welcome to the board. I also used RH9 for a long time and had much fun with it.

Code:
    int GreetNewUser(int post_count)
                                     {
                                      post_count++;
                                      return post_count;
                                      }
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM Dual 80G WD HD 8MB Cache (1 WinXP Home, 1 CentOS 4.2) GeForce Ti4200 128MB SB Live! 5.1
    Registered Linux user #391521

Linux Newbie

November 2004...

Quote Originally Posted by Red Jam

November 2004...
    yes, quite curious
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast