Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been reading about the supposed $35 computer. It reportedly has minimal spec hardware and operates on the android OS. I'm not familiar with the android OS, since I'm one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Android based distro?

I've been reading about the supposed $35 computer. It reportedly has minimal spec hardware and operates on the android OS. I'm not familiar with the android OS, since I'm one of those people who only uses my phone as a phone. Is android capable enough to be not just a phone os, but a full blown computer os? Is anyone working on that?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Apparently you can give it a go... linky
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    I've been reading about the supposed $35 computer. It reportedly has minimal spec hardware and operates on the android OS. I'm not familiar with the android OS, since I'm one of those people who only uses my phone as a phone. Is android capable enough to be not just a phone os, but a full blown computer os? Is anyone working on that?
    Yes, and yes. However, more work is being done with Meego for mobile devices beyond phones. Android is pretty much linked to ARM processors at this point. If you want to look at Meego, you can find it on the Linux Foundation web site (Linux.com | The source for Linux information).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    i guess that would be an example of convergance. Our phones getting more like our computers and our computers handling phone calls. They can already play music, movies and TV programs, so what's next? When they make a computer that will cut the grass, I'll get in line for the release.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, I think that there are computerized lawn mowers that you can program to mow your lawn while you chill out with a beer on the back porch...

Yes, but the ones out now are one trick ponies, they just mow. To be a true convergance type device it would have to mow, surf, email, play music and videos, play games and of course make phone calls. Of course if they have a Windows OS, getting cut off during your phone call could be quite literal.
    Last edited by MASONTX; 07-31-2010 at 10:53 PM. Reason: typo

Giving new meaning to the term "BSOD". Now it will be "Blue Sky Of Death"...

I am read about a iPed and it runs on Android. And the Chinese are selling it at 1/4 the price of an iPad.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

How much disk space and ram would an install of Android require? Seems like a small light distro teamed up with a dirt cheap processor, minimal ram, and an 8 or 16 GB flash card would make a slow but capable system. It wouldn't satisfy power users, or those already spoiled by modern fast systems, but for developing areas or an internet appliance, it should do the trick.

You can get an android phone emulator from the android web site to work with the SDK to develop applications for android phones, etc. It seems to work well enough for me on my CentOS system. Other than that, you may need to build the OS yourself if you want to install it in VirtualBox or other VM environment.