Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
I was just working on completing all of the paperwork to send to customs, including a cover letter. I pointed out that, although I am petitioning for relief (their words) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

I was just working on completing all of the paperwork to send to customs, including a cover letter.

I pointed out that, although I am petitioning for relief (their words) by providing the FCC ID number, the FCC would also allow importing under these conditions:

"Three or fewer radio receivers, computers, or other unintentional radiators as defined in Part 15 of the FCC Rules, are being imported for an individual's personal use and are not intended for sale."

The FCC Form 740 only allows one choice, so I chose providing the FCC ID. In case they decide the ID isn't applicable, I gave them another reason to release it.

They did say that if it is released, I will have to pay a fee of 15% of the price, which would be about $40.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Sounds like one of those painful learning exercises we are doomed to experience occasionally!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

LF does not like political comments to be made here so I will just say I do not believe you will ever get your device back or receive any refund for it!!

I truly hope that I am wrong and everything turns out all right for you!!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Sounds like one of those painful learning exercises we are doomed to experience occasionally!
    As long as it ends with me holding my tablet, I'll grin and bear it.

Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    LF does not like political comments to be made here so I will just say I do not believe you will ever get your device back or receive any refund for it!!

I truly hope that I am wrong and everything turns out all right for you!!!
    I have done my homework, and have a good feeling about getting it released. I have identified two clauses that would result in it's release. Of course, it is dependent on the customs official's ruling. And you can't predict that.

On a related subject. The seller of the tablet offered zero help on this. He did say he saw my posts about it (I also posted at Android Forums}. I will not be posting the details, if I get it. I don't want to help him sell more tablets, unless he wants to refund me my costs.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Archos makes some nice tablets that run android here in the US. I just ordered mine, but the one I got is only a 5 inch screen cause I wanted something like a ipod touch They do make bigger ones and the price is not to bad.

Linux Guru
    Well, I finally got my tablet released from customs!!

Although I was told that there is a 15% fee, which would have been $40, there was a $100 minimum. After paying the $100 ransom, I looked over the contents. I found that the power supply/charger was missing. They called up the two agents listed on the seizure document, and one of them told me this:

Sir, I would not jeopardize my job by stealing your power supply!"

I smiled and said that I wasn't accusing them of stealing it, by maybe of loosing it. They were not amused, and wouldn't even consider the possibility that they lost it.

I now have a power supply that works, and have used it long enough to screw things up! I now have to re-flash the system images and start over. Someone has made a windows batch file that will install a few apps and fixes, and also enable Android Market. I have converted it to bash script, through the trial-and-error process. It may have been the errors that screwed things up.

As for Android, I don't care for it. It is way too difficult to do things. I guess I have become comfortable with the many options that a regular Linux distro provides. Using Android is a big step backward.

oz
    forum.guy
    Thanks for the update, waterhead.

I'm glad to hear you've received your device, although sorry to hear that this deal went bad pretty much all the way around. Your posting of the experience is valuable info that any of us might want to ponder before making certain overseas purchases. I feel lucky now that my own recent overseas deals went so smoothly, and fortunately, I ended up liking the products purchased.
    oz

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    As for Waterhead's comments about Android, I'd have to agree as far as comparing it with standard Linux distributions. However, remember that Android is tailored to smart phones primarily, which are devices where you REALLY want to limit the user's access to the system as much as reasonably possible so they don't mess up the primary (for some) use of the device, as a phone. I suspect that most Android tablets will be able to have a decent ARM-based Linux installed PDQ. Moblin/MeGo comes to mind, as does Debian et al. I run Debian on ARM-based embedded systems and it works a treat.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Thanks for the update, waterhead.

I'm glad to hear you've received your device, although sorry to hear that this deal went bad pretty much all the way around. Your posting of the experience is valuable info that any of us might want to ponder before making certain overseas purchases. I feel lucky now that my own recent overseas deals went so smoothly, and fortunately, I ended up liking the products purchased.
    Don't get me wrong, I like the tablet. It is just Android that I don't care for.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Moblin/MeGo comes to mind, as does Debian et al. I run Debian on ARM-based embedded systems and it works a treat.
    My Zenithink ZT-180 tablet has an ARM11 (ARM v6) processor. I would like to learn the process for installing embedded Linux, and give it a try. Any pointers on where to start?

I currently have to use a WinXP based tool to install system images. People who seem to know, say there is no other way. How do you do it? I was thinking of getting a BeagleBoard for practice, iayhough I know it has a better processor (A8-Cortex).
    Last edited by waterhead; 09-14-2010 at 01:56 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast