Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Originally Posted by waterhead Well, I finally got my tablet released from customs!! Although I was told that there is a 15% fee, which would have been $40, there was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    Well, I finally got my tablet released from customs!!

Although I was told that there is a 15% fee, which would have been $40, there was a $100 minimum. After paying the $100 ransom, I looked over the contents. I found that the power supply/charger was missing.
    Dang bro, this thing is causing you more grief than it's worth. Sorry you had to deal with this mess. I think I'd be pretty PO'd by now.
    But I'm glad you got your merchandise, finally. Enjoy!
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!

Customs seized mine too.. Anybody can help?

I ordered 15 tablets. 10 apads and 5 zenithinks. Sent by UPS, but in our case UPS says the package has been lost (for 20 days now) and we've heard nothing from Customs. However we know someone that works in UPS and they told us the package is not lost, that it's being held by Customs behind a locked fence. Not sure what they plan on doing with the package but since Customs hasn't said anything to us about it we're really concerned. Does anybody have any FCC documents they could help me with so I can get this taken care of? It's a lot of money to lose

Linux Guru
    Sorry to hear about that. It truly sucks!

The U.S. Customs is suppose to send you a letter concerning the seizure. I would contact the local customs office directly. Maybe you can get some movement from them concerning this. You need to find out why they seized it first. If it was because of the wireless in it, then I can help you, some.

I had to submit a FCC document 740:

http://www.fcc.gov/Forms/Form740/740.pdf

There are two ways to get this permitted for importation. One is the clause that allows three or fewer devices for personal use (item #7 on the form). The other is to provide a FCC ID number (#1 on the form). Since you have more than three devices, you will most likely have to provide the FCC IDs.

You should first contact the seller, and see if they have the proper documentation that they can send you. I got a copy of the ZT-180 FCC ID document after contacting Zenithink directly. I don't know about the other devices that you got.

They may have seized them because they thought that they were fake iPads. That would be a different matter all together.

PM me with an email address, and I can send you some of the documentation that I used. I will first need to remove my personal info from the docs.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If UPS says the package is lost and you have not heard from customs ... the only thing you can do is to demand UPS to cover your loss.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    If UPS says the package is lost and you have not heard from customs ... the only thing you can do is to demand UPS to cover your loss.
    That's not a bad idea, you may want to pursue this route first (play dumb). You can now get the ZT-180 from U.S. sellers, so screw customs!

Flat Computing, LLC - FlatPad A10

Some more info on dealing with customs. I also had to file for "Relief From Forfeiture", using this document:

http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_4630.pdf

I believe that filing this document puts the decision of whether or not to release the merchandise in the hands of customs. Otherwise you can request that it be reviewed by a judge, and I would suggest getting a lawyer with knowledge of this process.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!

Wisconsin Dhl

Same thing happened to me with the same item in milwalkee. Looks like someone there has a beef with these tablets. Item was set to be delivered they tried i wasnt home, sat at dhl all weekend and was seized monday morning before the re atempted.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by noneya View Post
    Same thing happened to me with the same item in milwalkee. Looks like someone there has a beef with these tablets. Item was set to be delivered they tried i wasnt home, sat at dhl all weekend and was seized monday morning before the re atempted.
    Sorry to hear about it, but it doesn't surprise me. When I first contacted customs over the phone, they told me that they have been seizing "a lot of these". I'm sure they meant the various sized MIDs, UMPCs and tablets that are coming out of China.

I contacted customs as soon as DHL told me it was seized. That is when they told me a letter will be sent.

If you want help with the documents, PM me with an email address. I can provide you with examples.

P.S. Read through my previous posts on what I had to do to get it released. Be prepared to pay $100 to get it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4