Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Last month I pre-ordered an Android 10.2" tablet. It is being made in China by Zenithink, and is sold under a few different names. The one I purchased: Wiipad:Google android ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

My iPad Clone Was Seized By Customs

Last month I pre-ordered an Android 10.2" tablet. It is being made in China by Zenithink, and is sold under a few different names.

The one I purchased:
    Wiipad:Google android UMPC iPAD - WIIPAD NENO 10.2" ANDROID Tablet

Other sellers:
    Zenithink ZT-180 ePad 10" A105 Android 2.1 Tablet MID (a.k.a ZT180 Orphan M16)
    Zenithink ZT-180 800MHz processor 10" tablet Android 2.1 **PREORDER ONLY**

The tablet was finally shipped from Hong Kong yesterday via DHL, and arrived today at the nearby Milwaukee airport. That is where it was promptly seized by US Customs!

When I called them, they couldn't give me the details (yet). But base on my description of the device, I was told it was most likely because of the wireless in it. It seems that it has not been certified that it meets US regulations on such devices. A certification lab would need to test and certify the device, in China.

I need to wait for the letter that customs will send me, then I will have the details. If it is true, they will keep the tablet, and not even return it to the seller! I hope I can get my money back.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

oz
    forum.guy
    This isn't an uncommon thing to have happen to shipments arriving from overseas. I ordered a couple of special keyboards (separate orders) from overseas a year or so back and one was held by US Customs for a couple of days, and the other was held by them for 5 or 6 days before being released. Maybe you will see your item released and delivered to you soon.
    oz

Yea, I sent some dog training equipment to Europe and it was bounced because it had radio transmitters. I sent it again and it passed.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Thanks for offering me some hope, ozar.

I was really looking forward to getting this tablet. I had planned to try and install a regular Linux distro on it. It has an ARM11, and Debian has an ARM11 version.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Your tax dollars at work. They can keep track of which electronic device has been approved for entry, but miss a terrorist on the no fly list.

Wow, who woulda thunk it? Hope you get your stuff or a refund Paul, that's crazy.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Guru
    As they say in Sin City "Sheeeesh"

Dear customers,
    This product is beginning to ship. the shipping date will be on Sundays or Mondays
    Due to the high demand of this product, there may be delays in shipping as we have so many to ship out; for a more precise shipping date please contact us directly.
    When I called them, they couldn't give me the details (yet). But base on my description of the device, I was told it was most likely because of the wireless in it. It seems that it has not been certified that it meets US regulations on such devices. A certification lab would need to test and certify the device, in China.
    Sure is a wonderment. Its for sale. But customs is having a hissy fit.
    Living on the border. I can attest to one can be in for hell if a Customs official had a bad cup of coffee. I think once it is shown that the device is already being sold through vendors. That you will get it back.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    Thanks for offering me some hope, ozar.

I was really looking forward to getting this tablet. I had planned to try and install a regular Linux distro on it. It has an ARM11, and Debian has an ARM11 version.
    I'd be really surprised if they don't release it within a few days.

When I ordered the keyboards that they hung onto for a while, I was posting on a keyboard forum at the time, and lots of others had the same experience. These items were generally held by US Customs anywhere from a day on up to a week or two, with just a few days being the most common. Each of us commented about the uneasy feeling we had during these episodes, so I know exactly how you feel.
    oz

Linux Guru
    I got the letter from U.S. Customs today, and it doesn't look very promising. There is no mention of them ever returning my tablet, or me needing to submit some needed paperwork. Just that it was seized because the wireless violated FCC regulations.

Here's a copy of the cover letter. There also were some form letters, with even more unclear legal jargon.

================================================== ===
    The records of this office indicate that you have an interest in certain merchandise seized by U.S. Customs and Boarder protection officers at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, on August 11, 2010, from DHL package #xxxxxxxxxx arriving from Hong Kong. The merchandise was seized under the provisions of title 19, United States Code, section 1595a(c)(2)(B), because is was introduced or attempted to be introduced into the United States contrary to law in violation of 47 U.S.C. 302a(b), which prohibits the
    importation of electronic equipment and systems that fail to comply with Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations. Specifically, this merchandise lacked the required FCC Identification Number, Certification and Verification testing, and was missing FCC Form 740, required by 47 CFR 2.803(a)(5) and 2.1204(a)(5).

Mdse Description: (1) E-Pad device with WI-Fi capabilities having an invoice value of $25.00

Under the provisions of 19 USC 1618, you may petition for relief from the above liability. The enclosed Notice of Seizure and Information for Claimants explains your options with regard to the remission of the forfeiture of seized property. If you do wish to petition for relief from forfeiture, you must provide an express agreement to defer judicial or administration forfeiture proceedings until completion of the administrative process. Completion of the enclosed Election of Proceedings form will provide this express agreement.

The petition, if filed, must be signed by the petitioner, and filed with U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Attn: FP&F Officer, 4915 S. Howell Avenue, Suite 200 Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53207. It should be filed in duplicate and set forth a description of the property involved, the date and place of violation for seizure and such facts as are relied upon to justify remission or mitigation.

If no correspondence is received in this office within 30 days from the date of this letter, said property will be disposed of in accordance with existing law and regulation.
    ================================================== ==
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by waterhead; 08-15-2010 at 05:30 AM.

oz
    forum.guy
    No, that doesn't sound good at all. I never saw a letter like that with either of my imports. If the seller is breaking the law by shipping it here, you shouldn't have to pay for the item. Are you able to stop payment on the credit card?
    oz

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast