Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! Been quite occupied this past week as I had my first job in the IT world. Work at home and on flexi time. Not big money really but considering ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

White Hat SEOs

Hello!

Been quite occupied this past week as I had my first job in the IT world. Work at home and on flexi time. Not big money really but considering its just for starters, I am hoping to make my climb up the ladder, so to speak.

Aside from the fact that the 3 top sys ad guys who are full bred linux geeks giving me a very warm linuxian welcome and made me feel at home, my job is not connected to the linux system.

Anyways, I need help in understanding the basics of White Hat SEO. I tried to google but there are so many to choose from. I need something like "The Complete Idiot's Guide to SEO" kinda thing. For those who have known me since I started here, you would understand better why

By the way, any of you guys doing SEO stuffs? Your comments and tips (encouragements) are welcome, please!

I had enough nose bleed this week . Looking forward to lesser and lesser nosebleeds these coming days!

Thanks a lot!

nujinini
    Last edited by nujinini; 08-21-2010 at 01:32 AM.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Congratulations on the new job. You will do great.

Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    Congratulations on the new job. You will do great.
    Thanks!

All I have right now aside from LF is my small 48 year old brain and the passion of a 20 year old to learn new things. I guess that's were the nosebleed starts.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Most SEO is common sense.

A relevant domain name helps
    Properly formed and valid (x)html is important
    Decide what keywords and phrases you want to optimise a page for
    The page title should include include your primary phrase (but it shouldn't be too long)
    Use headings properly. H1 then H2 then H3 and so on. They should include keywords and phrases
    Quality and relevant links from other sites will help
    Use your keywords and phrases in your body text - in context
    Make sure that the site's content is updated regularly

And most important of all

Never promise anyone that you can get their site to the top of a search engine. It is a promise you can only keep by luck.

I'm not a professional SEO dude but I use these techniques on my personal site (The Fifth Continent:- Technology, commentary and stuff!) and I often get into the first page of Google results for my chosen phrases. I just checked this... slackware vs ubuntu - Google Search and I was fifth which is cool.

And I've just given you all my secrets

Good luck with your new job. Hope it all goes well.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

And I've just given you all my secrets...
    Thanks elijah! Reaaalllly appreciate this
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    No worries.

I just realises that I forget to mention meta-tags and description. Use them but don't over use them. Some search engines completely ignore them and others rely on them.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Hello Nijinini,
    I don't know if you still need help with the topic? Last time you posted was over a year ago.
    Anyway, I have a lot of experience and I do it for a living. There are a lot of great resources available, but one needs to have an experience to filter out quality resource from mass of bad advices (aka black-hat seo). Many don't mean harm, just learned one aspect of seo 5-8 years ago, and are unwilling and/or incapable to adjust to newly published search engine guidelines. And there are many of them. So one needs to pretty much be on top of the latest trands to stay within white-hat rules. Many examples of incapable seo firms offering services and selected by reputable companies such as JCPenny. Popular US based retailer recently been demoted by google for buying links from other websites. Who would've thought? Few years ago, the whole internet marketing circled around buying and sellings placements on their websites to promote one-another. Today it is black-hat, and if JCPenny guys/girls were proactively reading Google webmasterforum guidlines, the famous retailor wouldn't be losing millions each month, especially during the upcoming Christmass season.
    As far as Elija's advise on meta-tags, if you refer to meta that is incapsulated into head tags, there are 3 of them that are worth paying attension to:
    meta-title = most important meta. This is what is displayed at the top of the browser; this is what is used by default as users bookmark the page.
    meta-description = very important, almost always used by all search engines, and is what searcher sees on SERPs before deciding to click on the link of your website.
    meta-keyword = not used by search engines (I think that's what you were referring to). Both, Google and Bing ignore this tag, however those may be used by intronet sites for internal-network-searches. If not, you can totally ignore those.
    Anyway, please let me know and I'll get you some great resources, or will be happy to guilde you myself.

Best wishes,

Sasha

Sasha!

Thank you for taking note of this old thread.

I resigned from my job after two weeks since I realized that what they were teaching me was actually spamming. Learning SEO would be cool but for the meantime, I am working with a small team of developers and we are set to deploy the alpha version of our website soon. This has occupied much of my time. Thank you for the offer to help.

This forums indeed has the natural ability to draw people like you who anticipate giving help to others.

Welcome and see you around!

All the best!

nujinini
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667