Find the answer to your Linux question:
Some of you will have seen this in the LF eNews bulletin but I thought I'd draw your attention to it all the same. If you have Adobe Flash installed, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Angry Flash can spy on you!

Some of you will have seen this in the LF eNews bulletin but I thought I'd draw your attention to it all the same. If you have Adobe Flash installed, advertising sites can use it to store and regenerate cookies that you thought you had erased. Read this: Ad firm sued for allegedly re-creating deleted cookies.

It doesn't say whether open-source equivalents like gnash do this too.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    Some of you will have seen this in the LF eNews bulletin but I thought I'd draw your attention to it all the same. If you have Adobe Flash installed, advertising sites can use it to store and regenerate cookies that you thought you had erased. Read this: Ad firm sued for allegedly re-creating deleted cookies.

It doesn't say whether open-source equivalents like gnash do this too.
    The good news is, if the open-source versions did allow this, they're only a patch away from not doing it.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Sadly, the open source options barely work. At least they never have for me. I just tried the new gnash release 0.8.8 yesterday and I couldn't play any youtube or hulu videos.

Tried lightspark also, but it crashed almost immediately.

I use the Better Privacy addon for dleting LSO cookies in Firefox and Seamonkey. Does this mean that after I delete them using Better Privacy. They are regenerated?

Not much mentioned.

Those who are looking to have more control over their cookies in all forms can find some help in two add-ons for Firefox: BetterPrivacy and from Abine.
    Looked in Google-Chrome just now. Only saw Ghostery as maybe a viable extension. No Better Privacy or Abine extension available for it.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 08-26-2010 at 04:31 PM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Double thanks to hazel for the links apropos to Flash and Google Phone! I needed the info in one and wanted it in the other.