Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am very new to Linux and I work with someone who suggested Gentoo - I'm not new to computing and have worked with Computers all my life (normally ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Which Linux for old Compaq Evo N200 Laptop?

Hi,

I am very new to Linux and I work with someone who suggested Gentoo - I'm not new to computing and have worked with Computers all my life (normally Windows based)

I wanted to try Linux to get rid of having to buy expensive licenses and to have a bit more freedom.

Im experimenting on an old Compaq Evo N200 Laptop (I have the desk dock with CD Rom in it also)

The basic spec is:

Ultra Low Voltage Mobile Intel Pentium III 700 MHz-M
    192 MB RAM SD RAM 100 Mhz
    20GB HDD
    ATI Mobility L with 4 MB SGRAM

Any recommendations??

Thanks

Just Joined!
    Maybe Ubuntu ??

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

The hard disk is big enough, but with the low RAM count you'll need to use one of the lightweight distros, or use some other distro without a GUI.

Puppy and Damn Small Linux are both frequently recommended for lower spec computer hardware.

More lightweight options here:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...re-2010-a.html
    oz

you can try AntiX 8.5 full Iso with those ram specs.

I run AntiX and ran it aso on a 128MB pentium 2 Laptop that I have since sold to pay for a newer one. Basically a Mepis kernel Distro but based on Debian Squeeze repositories. It is also geared towards more proficient computer users and can be set up as a rolling release distro.

Good Luck with it and Happy Trails, Rok
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Gentoo is source-based, so if you run it on a low-spec computer, you're going to spend an awful lot of time compiling. Of course you could get round that by doing your updates at night.

On the positive side, Gentoo comes without a default desktop or any default apps; you install what you want and you can choose lightweight packages. You can also choose compilation flags (USE FLAGS) to avoid building optional parts of a package so you don't get lumbered with half the Gnome desktop just from installing a particular program. And you'll learn a lot about Linux, more I think than you would from dsl.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Hello and Welcome!

Lower spec machine with a knowledgeable user willing to learn, huh?

Maybe a minimal Slack or Debian install could work.

Both would offer you powerful CLI interactions, and give you control of what to load onto your system. At the same time, you won't have to wait on a compile time.

*EDIT*

I looked again at all of the replies...
    and while I've not run Gentoo, I have to say that source-based distros do respond better for me on older kit. CRUX on a P3 with 512 RAM ran like a scalded cat! But, as mentioned by hazel, compile times wll be a beast.
    Last edited by jayd512; 08-28-2010 at 02:49 AM. Reason: clarification
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I have used the new Puppy 5.1 and AntiX 8.5 on low spec computers with good results. Go to distrowatch.com and use the search function to look at distro's for older computers, and you will see more options. good luck, and welcome to the forum.

MASON... that was excellent advice that I have given a few times myself!

DistroWatch is a great resource for anyone looking for a new distro!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.