Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have been a Mac and Windows user and had negative thoughts about Linux (as most of free things are inferior) .I came across ubuntu as part of my college ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Julia here with my linux story

I have been a Mac and Windows user and had negative thoughts about Linux (as most of free things are inferior) .I came across ubuntu as part of my college project .

I had some problems in start but with the help of linux community its all well now .

Now i understand why pay for a thing which is available for free . I first used to think linux must be a garbage as it is a free OS . Now as I am using ubtuntu I come to know that not only it is free it comes with lot of open source stuff . And its reliability puts windows in a shame .
    Now I recommend everyone who is not gamming to get rid of M$ windows.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Julia-k View Post
    I have been a Mac and Windows user and had negative thoughts about Linux (as most of free things are inferior) .I came across ubuntu as part of my college project .

I had some problems in start but with the help of linux community its all well now .
    Hi Julia-k,
    Welcome to LF ! Yes,Linux Community helps a lot Hope you have great time with Linux/Open source !
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

nujinini
    Linux User #489667

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Greetings, and welcome to the forum.

Just Joined!
    May I ask which distribution you use?

Great article Nujinnini

Linux Newbie
    Interesting news (about the french police), but I wonder if ubuntu isn't too much dangerously user-friendly and fresh/unstable for that kind of use.

But perhaps I shouldn't pay much attention to the rants of some who have debian as a favorite and seem to think that ubuntu is some sort of treason. I guess it would hardly be the most popular distro (if it still is) if it was that unstable, even more if it's somewhat target to newbies, as they would tend to use it for a while and just give up linux or hop to another distro shortly after. I guess. Not that popularity would be necessarily owed to stability, anyway.

However, I think it's likely that they use the LTS version and pay for support, I guess it should make things safer.
    Openbox + tint2 desktop. Debian testing, liquorix kernel

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Julia-k View Post

Now i understand why pay for a thing which is available for free . I first used to think linux must be a garbage as it is a free OS . Now as I am using ubtuntu I come to know that not only it is free it comes with lot of open source stuff . And its reliability puts windows in a shame .
    Now I recommend everyone who is not gamming to get rid of M$ windows.
    Welcome to the Forums Julia. FWIW, I think this is the best Linux support site on the web. I also contribute to the Linux.com forums, but this is far more active, and the help is really great! I use it my self, not just as a "guru", but when I have problems I need to solve and have "hit the wall". Don't feel shy about posting questions in any appropriate forum. Someone will (usually) help you find a solution to your problem.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

As one of those who came to linux by way of Ubuntu, I have stayed with Ubuntu on my main system for 2 1/2 years. Yes, I have played with a lot of live distros in the last 6 months, but it is Ubuntu that I love. Where Ubuntu lets me down, is on some really old hardware I have tried it on. On ancient hardware, I use Puppy, AntiX, Lubuntu, or whatever I can get to work with the hardware. Come to think of it, I do have a copy of Daper Drake somewhere, maybe I should dig that out and try on my old boxes.

Just Joined!
    I started using Ubuntu as part of my college project . Believe me , Linux has become my hobby now.I have diged some old to very old hardware and now looking to try a distro on them . So far i have tried Lubuntu , DSL and puppy linux .

Suggest me Linux for
    PIII 128 to 256 ram
    PII 64 ram
    PI 16 to 32 ram

thanx you are being a wonderful community

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast