Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Hi all, TO SEGFAULT--yes, that was my initial reaction, too, athough I probably wasn't `weirded out' as you badly as you were because MS-DOS, which I used for many years ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hi all,

TO SEGFAULT--yes, that was my initial reaction, too, athough I probably wasn't `weirded out' as you badly as you were because MS-DOS, which I used for many years even after Windows was distributed, also has a few weird command statements. Anyway, as I understand it, BASH is an acronym for Bourne-again shell--in my case the shell that openSUSE uses. Yes, I believe that many of the commands are common across various Linux shells, but there are differences, too.

TO MASONTX--yes I do remember the Timex Sinclair microcomputer. I actually had one, but had trouble getting software for it, and eventually moved on to Atari, Apple II-GS, and Tandy systems. These represented an intermediate step between my Commodore 64 and finally graduating to my first IBM PC running MS-DOS 2.1.

TO FRESTON--thank for steering me toward the `Advanced Bash Scripting Guide'. You're absolutely right! You can't tell an OS by its GUI. In my case, the innocent appearance of the openSUSE Gnome desktop offers its users absolutely no clue about the power and sophistication that lies just beneath the surface--that fabulous command shell that makes it all possible--and more! [ I sound a little like a Linux sales rep, don't I? ) ]

TO EVERYONE IN THE GROUP--thanx for your continued support. Right now, I could use all the help I can get! It's comforting to learn, after reading through some of the other "newbie" posts, that I'm not the only one struggling to learn this new OS. In my case, the Gnome Desktop is pretty intuitive, but I'm afraid that learning and using the BASH shell commands will be a bit daunting. However, I recall having the same trepidation when I got my first computer (a Commodore 64) and was confronted with learning a host of BASIC commands, and yet I suffered through it, and even went beyond that to MS-DOS commands and GWBASIC, which is even more powerful and complex than Commodore BASIC. I'm hoping, therefore, that I can manage with Linux, as well [although Linux probably is 100 times more powerful than either of them]. Anyway, thanx again to all of you for the words of encouragement. And thanx again to everyone else who responded--and continue to respond--to my initial post. You're all super!

Bob

Learn by using!!!

Other than that, there is also the Linux Bible. I have an edition on my night-stand.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    jayd512,

Thanx for the suggestion of acquiring The Linux Bible. I'll definitely look into it. Meanwhile, one of my very first tasks was to burn 3 more v11.2 LiveCDs, since the original one I burned a few months ago doesn't appear to duplicate properly, and if it's ever damaged or somehow corrupted, I'm up the proverbial creek! I especially like the idea of being able to boot up from and use he LiveCD in order to test out the OS on nearly any computer, even on systems with limited resources, such as netbooks. Version 11.2 appears to be quite forgiving in that department--in fact far more so than the Vista Premium or [I would assume ] the new Windows 7.

After I'm a little more familiar with v11.2 I might upgrade to v11.3, a LiveCD of which I also burned. I also burned the DVD version, but that one is not a LiveDisk, just an installer. Meanwhile, I think v11.2 will suffice for training and getting acquainted with Gnome's features AND with using Linux commands--both in direct mode and in programs. I can't wait to actually compile my very first Linux app!! )

At the risk of repeating myself, I'll say it again: you're all super to be willing to voluntarily take the time and effort to help newbies like myself get rolling in Linux, regardless of which distro they use. I'm also glad that you don't appear to put down any distro in favor of another, which is behavior that I've observed on one of the other forums in which I participate. I was getting pretty tired of witnessing a new flame war every week or so. IMHO, each `flavor' has something unique to offer, with its own advantages and disadvantages, and it is these differences collectively that make life interesting, no?

Cheers
    Bob

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by robert_marma View Post
    I'm also glad that you don't appear to put down any distro in favor of another, which is behavior that I've observed on one of the other forums in which I participate. I was getting pretty tired of witnessing a new flame war every week or so. IMHO, each `flavor' has something unique to offer, with its own advantages and disadvantages, and it is these differences collectively that make life interesting, no?
    You'll find that many of us here highly encourage members to use whatever works best for them, even if that should turn out to be Windows. The thing is, some people aren't willing to give a distribution or operating system that is new to them a fair trial and to take the time needed to learn about it before condemning it.

Glad to hear you are having fun with Linux!
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by robert_marma View Post
    IMHO, each `flavor' has something unique to offer, with its own advantages and disadvantages, and it is these differences collectively that make life interesting, no?
    I gotta hand it to you, Bob...
    You've already grasped the spirit of Linux and open source with that one little statement...
    So you get a banana!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    What a weird list. Most of those commands are standalone programs which will run fine in any other shell. Why call them bash commands?
    I guess because bash is the default shell that gets assigned. It is in Ubuntu, and suse. People knowing that their using bash may google for that specifically. Right right though, most, if not all will work with others shells.

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault
    What a weird list. Most of those commands are standalone programs which will run fine in any other shell. Why call them bash commands?
    And we call it Linux, while Linux is just the kernel

Actually, those commands could be divided into Gnu utilities, Bash build-ins and third party programs for it to be correct. But I guess, these are commands that you can give while in a Bash environment... So that kinda makes them Bash commands in a sense. Sometimes you see these same commands listed as 'Linux commands' which makes even less sense from a puritan perspective.

I understand what you are saying, and technically you are correct. No doubt about that. I always hate it when my co-workers call KDE Linux. And they call Vim Linux, and they call VirtualBox Linux (because I run Linux in Virtualbox). And when I said Linux is to Slackware, what NT is to XP... oh boy, that had them confused.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2