Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by Segfault Not sure what that reliability means. I'm running exclusively Gentoo ~arch (testing) on my desktops since 2004. I've never experienced an operating system crash, have had ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    Not sure what that reliability means.
    I'm running exclusively Gentoo ~arch (testing) on my desktops since 2004. I've never experienced an operating system crash, have had apps crashing but never needed to reboot because of these, had a few hardware lockups because of overclocking.

Good luck with your choice.
    I did mention in the original post several of the bugs I found... Some of them are not hardware related and are just general bugs, like ALSA and Google Chrome.. It happens on all hardware I tested it on... Windows and OS X both have a FAR superior sound system these days.. Previous to Windows Vista, I would say that Linux was better than Windows, because the "WSS" was quite poor and antiquated, but it's definitely caught up for the better.. Just one example..

Sure, I haven't had a kernel panic, unless that won't resume from sleep is a kernel panic, but no log is ever written.. I haven't had BSOD's since 2003 either though, and back then, it was because of a poorly written driver from an open source 3dfx driver (yes, I was still rocking a Voodoo card back then)..

Well, my Windows experience ended with XP. Never looked back. In my boxes everything works, sound and whatnot. And works the way I want.

There are million threads discussing Windows vs. Linux. It's no use, I do not want to be part of another one.

Good luck with your choices. One great thing about FOSS is everybody can use it and nobody is forced to use it.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    Well, my Windows experience ended with XP. Never looked back. In my boxes everything works, sound and whatnot. And works the way I want.

There are million threads discussing Windows vs. Linux. It's no use, I do not want to be part of another one.

Good luck with your choices. One great thing about FOSS is everybody can use it and nobody is forced to use it.
    No, I don't want to be a part of one either, because in the end, no matter what facts are said, to the end user, it's still just an opinion..

I'm still trying to give Linux a try.. If I atleast had sleep mode and functional FGLRX, I would actually stay on Linux and deal with the other bugs..

I did actually video tape the sleep mode bug, but be warned, I hadn't slept in a few days when I filmed it, and was highly irritated, and didn't know then it was affecting all distros and was a kernel bug against this laptop.. At that point I just thought Ubuntu sucked in ACPI support.

youtube.com/watch?v=pEsF72DPLSo

Oh, another bug, but more of a crap-tastic Flash bug, fullscreen on this laptop on youtube skips like crazy if you move the mouse, to the point of almost locking up, even on a 360p stream.. On windows you can stream 1080p and not even skip a frame, but that's Adobe's "wonderful" coding..

oz
    forum.guy

Good luck to you with it, either way ...

The majority of users that leave Linux will usually return to it at some point, and it generally seems to work out better for them the second and maybe even the third time around. I know that it took me a really long time to work up the nerve to give up dual-booting, but once that happened, I've never looked back and haven't missed it a bit. My current personal computers have never had Windows installed on them and they never will if it's avoidable. Linux is very different, but there is something about it (and perhaps something about Windows) that nearly always causes those that have tried Linux to take another look at it in the future.

Hope it all works out for you, and do let us know how it goes.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    The majority of users that leave Linux will usually return to it at some point, and it generally seems to work out better for them the second and maybe even the third time around. I know that it took me a really long time to work up the nerve to give up dual-booting, but once that happened, I've never looked back and haven't missed it a bit. My current personal computers have never had Windows installed on them and they never will if it's avoidable. Linux is very different, but there is something about it (and perhaps something about Windows) that nearly always causes those that have tried Linux to take another look at it in the future.

Hope it all works out for you, and do let us know how it goes.
    Oh I'll return, but only when the kernel properly supports sleep mode on my laptop, and when ATI releases a better FGLRX driver that doesn't suck.. Those were the two main limiting factors for me using linux.. I LOVE the *nix kernel, and I know Linux has potential to rock, but ACPI and FGLRX are problematic on my laptop..

(Not to say windows don't have it's share of sleep mode bugs either, on Win7 64-bit, when it wakes from sleep, the LCD is at the lowest brightness, and I have to shut down and reboot to get it bright again, as it won't respond to the controls, and windows mobile center is missing the control completely).

Quote Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
    Oh I'll return, but only when the kernel properly supports sleep mode on my laptop, and when ATI releases a better FGLRX driver that doesn't suck.. Those were the two main limiting factors for me using linux.. I LOVE the *nix kernel, and I know Linux has potential to rock, but ACPI and FGLRX are problematic on my laptop..

(Not to say windows don't have it's share of sleep mode bugs either, on Win7 64-bit, when it wakes from sleep, the LCD is at the lowest brightness, and I have to shut down and reboot to get it bright again, as it won't respond to the controls, and windows mobile center is missing the control completely).
    I think I'd be more angry at the machine itself or the manufacturer. It sounds like a really finicky machine. I suggest that you grab the newest shiniest distro you can find, when you get a new machine.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    I think I'd be more angry at the machine itself or the manufacturer. It sounds like a really finicky machine. I suggest that you grab the newest shiniest distro you can find, when you get a new machine.
    I paid a lot of money for this laptop, lots, for a PC, and not a Mac, so I'm sticking with it for a while.. In Windows, minus the LCD brightness bug (which HP said they are fixing in an EFI update soon), it rocks.

But FGLRX sucks no matter what ATI card you have..

But ALSA/PulseAudio or whatever, needs to be improved. Some apps just take the output from other apps which shouldn't happen.

Sounds like you've made a sound decision.
    Windows ain't my bag o' tricks, but I do hope it works for you.

Good luck!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3