Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I've been using Linux seriously since Mandrake 7, and leaning linux since the old redhat days.. But lately, I'm finding more and more bugs that it just makes it hard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Possibly going back to Windows

I've been using Linux seriously since Mandrake 7, and leaning linux since the old redhat days..

But lately, I'm finding more and more bugs that it just makes it hard to use seriously anymore, to the point that Windows 7 is the only OS that works on my laptop and peripherals, bug free..

My situation:
    ATI FGLRX drivers suck, and since 10.8, I have no VSync options, but if I go back to an earlier version, then UVD2 won't work (which to even watch a movie from my pro movie cameras 1080p files, I need UVD otherwise it skips in a software renderer). In Windows 7 this is easy, just load the MTS video files in WMP and it runs through UVD. Another thing FGLRX lacks is desktop vsyncing, so everything tears, even movies.. OSS drivers don't tear, but OpenGL is very slow, despite using a hardware rasterizer, and doesn't support UVD (I didn't expect it to support UVD anyway).

Can't even sleep the laptop, suspend-to-ram results in a total freeze, and I've spend half a year trying to troubleshoot it, and found the bug to be in the kernel, and it affects every distro.

HPLIP seems to not duplex my printer correctly, just all single sided, and I need to duplex some large documents..

Those are pretty much all of the bugs I encounter day-to-day with Linux on my laptop and HP printer, and really, to me it's not acceptable anymore.. It used to be, but now it's annoying when Windows 7 will run circles around linux on the laptop.. In Linux, quake 4 at 640x480 low detail, i get 30fps tops.. In Windows 7, I can be doing 1024x768 high detail, and get the same fps..

So tonight, I am likely going to be reformatting and reinstalling Windows 7 back onto this laptop.. I will regret doing it, but atleast other things in my house works with linux fine: Router, TV, and Cable Box.. (Yes, my Samsung TV uses Linux).

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. Best of luck with Windows 7 or whatever OS works best for you.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

So, use a dual boot setup. Windows for your special needs and Linux for surfing, email and everything else. I really dislike using Windows machines on the Internet, it's just too unsafe in my opinion even with all the anti-virus/spyware/malware programs. We have several machines (Windows included) here in our home so it's not too bad for me if something doesn't work right, I just go plug it in to a different machine. If neither is an option for you, I wish you the best of luck with Windows.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I hate dual boots. It's cool and all, but I'm someone who likes simplicity. Besides, knock on wood, I've NEVER in my life had a virus.. I've done scans with some good tools, but never had a virus found.. I'm already a safe web browsing user, but I never touch IE, not with a 10 foot poll, haha..

Oh, forgot one of my other Linux quirks, though easy to fix.. ALSA/PulseAudio, or whichever. If Google Chrome is open, some apps just won't play sound for some reason, not until Chrome is closed, and the apps restarted..

Sorry to hear that mate, but which distro are you using at the moment ?
    Did you try any of the latest distros like- Ubuntu 10.04, Mint 9 or even Mandriva 2010 (Mandrake) ?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceSharma View Post
    Sorry to hear that mate, but which distro are you using at the moment ?
    Did you try any of the latest distros like- Ubuntu 10.04, Mint 9 or even Mandriva 2010 (Mandrake) ?
    I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit right now.. I tried others, but they all suffered the same problems I mentioned above, which tells me it's a component/hardware incompatibilty and software bug... (FGLRX sucks anyway, and i did write to ATI corporate that it does too)..

Quote Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
    i did write to ATI corporate that it does too)..
    That's the only way ATI is going to improve Linux support.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    I forgot the discs with me to the second house after the job fair today, so it looks like it will be another night with Linux..

I did notice that battery life is rather poorer too than in Windows 7, on this laptop, but that is probably Compiz (though Aero is fine in 7, on this laptop, even on battery, and that does seemingly more than Compiz).

I hear open-source ATI drivers are not that bad nowadays ... but it requires some tinkering.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    I hear open-source ATI drivers are not that bad nowadays ... but it requires some tinkering.
    I tried them, but the performance was terrible, and Kega Fusion, a Sega Genesis emulator, wouldn't even load, just a white box, and resizing windows had white flashes.. Not really worth troubleshooting..

But, I "might" let Linux stay a little more on my HD, but battery life must be improved..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast