Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
In general, what has the forum members experience been with wireless usb? I bought a cheapie to use in an old laptop, and have never been able to get it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Is wireless USB ready for prime time?

In general, what has the forum members experience been with wireless usb? I bought a cheapie to use in an old laptop, and have never been able to get it running right. From reading different forums, it seems to be quite common with wireless usb that it is difficult to get running or to get running right. It seems that lots of folks are having this problem with many different brands, so I thought I would ask the members what their experience has been.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I have a Netgear WN111-v2 and it is plug in and go
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Good question, I'm in need of one right now, something with good sensitivity? How would you describe Netgear WN111-v2 range?

Banned
    First of all, wireless USB has been around since the days of Win98 and Win2000. That's a ridiculously long 10-year period for a technology to become mainstream. I myself was forced to make use of wireless USB for internet connection after we got a 2nd computer, and it worked without a hitch on Windows 2000 (with the vendor drivers loaded, of course)

So the question is not whether wireless USB is ready for prime time, but rather whether the Linux kernel is ready for wireless USB.

And IMHO, this is the one major area Linux falls flat in. Not all manufacturers are willing to release their drivers for their USB chipsets, while those who do produce drivers release proprietary drivers which the idealists refuse to touch.

Hmmm... In this thread I'd decided on the device to go with. elija, I'm going to have to consider your Netgear if you're having that good of a result from it. What chipset? I'll Google for it too...

@ Etna: It's not that I don't value your recommendation on Ralink, it's just that a while back I had a nightmare experience with Ralink and am still smarting from it. I'm sure they're giving better support for Linux than they did then but I'm still a bit gun shy...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Hmmm... In this thread I'd decided on the device to go with. elija, I'm going to have to consider your Netgear if you're having that good of a result from it. What chipset? I'll Google for it too...

@ Etna: It's not that I don't value your recommendation on Ralink, it's just that a while back I had a nightmare experience with Ralink and am still smarting from it. I'm sure they're giving better support for Linux than they did then but I'm still a bit gun shy...
    No worries...but are you seriously thinking of THAT adaptor? I can promise you life won't be easy if you choose to get it. But if you get it to work, well, post your steps for me to document into my little notepad! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Etna View Post
    No worries...but are you seriously thinking of THAT adaptor? I can promise you life won't be easy if you choose to get it. But if you get it to work, well, post your steps for me to document into my little notepad! :P
    Lol! Okay, I'm convinced not to try the TP-Link!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Any recommendations what to pick from current Newegg product list?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I have a Belkin dongle that works great with Ubuntu (9.04 at least). Most of the major ones should work "out-of-the-box". Take your laptop into the store, and plug the device in. It will either work, or not (assuming they have an AP to connect with). In any case, current systems should work with most major chip sets without configuration or proprietary drivers.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I bought a wireless router as it had Linux compatible all over the box and this was with it. I wasn't sure about the chipset so I did an lsusb which showed

Code:
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0846:9001 NetGear, Inc. WN111 v2 802.11n
    That led to this page (via Google) of which the relevant bit seems to be

Code:
    • vendor: 0846 ("NetGear, Inc."), product: 9001 ("WN111(v2) RangeMax Next Wireless [Atheros AR9001U-(2)NG]")
    • vendor: 0846 ("NetGear, Inc."), product: 9001 ("WN111(v2) RangeMax Next Wireless [Atheros AR9001U-(2)NG]")
    Hope this helps.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast