Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
@nmset: You seem to have glossed over Oracle's treatment of OpenSolaris. I see this as an example of what they COULD do with OpenOffice. Hence, getting OpenOffice away from Oracle ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

@nmset: You seem to have glossed over Oracle's treatment of OpenSolaris. I see this as an example of what they COULD do with OpenOffice. Hence, getting OpenOffice away from Oracle is a good idea.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Now we just need someone to do the same for mysql oh wait...
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Linux User
    I see this as an example of what they COULD do with OpenOffice
    Then they would kill OOO, and with what else, as an Office Suite, would Oracle make money ? They have Solaris for revenue (? it's installed free of charge if you buy sun servers !) and could get rid of OpenSolaris, I'm not saying it's something good, not at all. If they close OOO and try to sell it, no company would pay for it, they would rather pay Microsoft. Now that OpenSolaris is no more company backed, is there any general effort to fork OpenSolaris, with the same enthisiasm as OOO ? I don't know, if so, please do post a relevant link. So there may some other reasons behind this OOO fork announced with so much drums and bells than just a philosophical fork. So let's wait and see.
    0 + 1 = 1 != 2 <> 3 != 4 ...
    Until the camel can pass though the eye of the needle.

I'm in the midst of compiling LibreOffice from source. So far, I've lost a foot, two fingers and my left eye but I'm too far into no man's land to stop now...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I'm in the midst of compiling LibreOffice from source. So far, I've lost a foot, two fingers and my left eye but I'm too far into no man's land to stop now...
    Same here.

I'm also trying to compile LibreOffice from source on OpenSUSE, but things are not going smoothly.

The biggest issue i have now is that it complains about missing modules after running 'make' when ./configure works perfectly fine without any error messages. I wonder if it's because i set the 'distro' parameter to 'CommonLinux' instead of 'SUSE-11.1'.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by nmset View Post
    Now that OpenSolaris is no more company backed, is there any general effort to fork OpenSolaris, with the same enthisiasm as OOO ? I don't know, if so, please do post a relevant link.
    I guess you missed this thread:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...ensolaris.html

OpenSolaris has been forked, the fork is called Illumos. I guess it wasn't so well known because it is Solaris, and if you aren't into Solaris you wouldn't even notice.

Illumos Project
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    @nmset: You seem to have glossed over Oracle's treatment of OpenSolaris. I see this as an example of what they COULD do with OpenOffice. Hence, getting OpenOffice away from Oracle is a good idea.
    I am not the only one with this opinion:
    OpenOffice's future was doomed from the day when Oracle acquired SUN Microsystems. The eventuality became even more obvious when they pulled the plug on OpenSolaris. Thankfully, OpenOffice is an open source software and leading contributors of the original project has forked OpenOffice and the new project will be called LibreOffice.
    Future Ubuntu Releases Will be Shipped With LibreOffice, Says Mark Shuttleworth | Tech Drive-in

I will wait a bit for LibreOffice to get it's "stuff" together before trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    I will wait a bit for LibreOffice to get it's "stuff" together before trying it.
    I've been trying it for some time now. It seems to be just the beta version of OpenOffice.org from what I can see.
    Pete

oz
    forum.guy
    At one time, there was talk going on about making OpenOffice so that users could actually install only those parts of it that they needed. If that could be done, it would certainly cut down on some serious bloat for a great number of users. Hopefully, LibreOffice will work toward that goal as well, if it's not too difficult to achieve.
    oz

Still compiling having worked my way through several tank traps and clusters of razor wire... xulrunner takes longer to compile than Gnome!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast