Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Details here: ?LibreOffice: OpenOffice.org Liberated...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

OpenOffice.org > LibreOffice

oz

Nice!
    I bet now, Sun will start playing nice with OSS. I think they are flip floppers.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

The point is Sun is no more; Oracle runs the show that Sun used to, and they have not been so friendly to the OSS community, so the community is retaliating. I was just reading this story on The Register. Sources don't seem optimistic that Oracle is going to be of any help.

Apparently they have sued all the major Linux distro backers over they're inclusion of Java in recent history, so now no one wants to give them a controlling interest in any OSS project if it can possibly be helped.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by D-cat View Post
    The point is Sun is no more; Oracle runs the show that Sun used to, and they have not been so friendly to the OSS community, so the community is retaliating. I was just reading this story on The Register. Sources don't seem optimistic that Oracle is going to be of any help.

Apparently they have sued all the major Linux distro backers over they're inclusion of Java in recent history, so now no one wants to give them a controlling interest in any OSS project if it can possibly be helped.
    I knew there was someone else that owned it now but I kept thinking it was Novell, thanks for the heads up D-Cat.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Red Hat, Canonical, Google, and Novell are among the backers of The Document Foundation and the new fork.
    Pretty impressive list of backers. I'll certainly be keeping my eye on this...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux User
    But any fork will still be dependent on the official OOO releases, and hence will be at least 3 laps behind. OOO is very huge and complex and changes would only be superficial and cosmetic. I don't think such forks will be successfull, other forks exist and have not been very successfull. People talk about OOO and not about Go-OO or NeoOffice. And Oracle still owns all rights regarding OOO !
    0 + 1 = 1 != 2 <> 3 != 4 ...
    Until the camel can pass though the eye of the needle.

Quote Originally Posted by nmset View Post
    And Oracle still owns all rights regarding OOO !
    All rights except the ones that count - that are 1. the source code project and 2. the developers making this software package.

If Oracle are not moving this on, then the new foundation will. The whole reason this has happened is because this is a project that has heavy involvement from the community. If Sun/Oracle were developing this on their own, then nobody would have cared.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Linux Guru
    I consider OpenOffice to be critical for Linux adoption into the mainstream. Sun open sourced the code after they acquired it. That code will remain open sourced.

I see this as a move to distance themselves from Oracle. Oracle has been offered an opportunity to join the Open Document Project, but has yet to respond to the offer. Oracle stomped on the OpenSolaris project, by not responding, I anticipate the same response to this project. I would expect that they will release a paid version of OpenOffice, and why not, it is great!

Long live Open Source!

Long Live LibreOffice!
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Quote Originally Posted by nmset View Post
    But any fork will still be dependent on the official OOO releases, and hence will be at least 3 laps behind. OOO is very huge and complex and changes would only be superficial and cosmetic. I don't think such forks will be successfull, other forks exist and have not been very successfull. People talk about OOO and not about Go-OO or NeoOffice. And Oracle still owns all rights regarding OOO !
    That's the beauty of open source. When you fork, you are free to go in any direction you wish. They could follow the official release or go in a completely different direction. I would like to see the fork become a little less bloated, I know it has to be bloated to offer all those functions and what not, but the last time I used Openoffice it was very, very slow.

Linux User
    the last time I used Openoffice it was very, very slow.
    Many people report the same and I'm quite astonished. I don't use any other office software and I must say that I don't ind it that much slow, even not slow at all. On a same platform, Windows for instance, launching OOO Writer is slower than launching MS Word, it's true, but it's a question of a few seconds, like Firefox which is slower to launch than IE. Once it's up, there's nothing more to say !

There seems to much defensive posture adopted by many against Oracle who has not been kind to OpenSolaris, and because of their suit against Goggle Android's use of Java technology which is yet to be tried. In some ways, we can't say that Google has observed all license clauses regarding subsetting the Java technology, even if the code comes from Harmony. Oracle's suit is not that much baseless and on account of the recet events, we can't really say that Oracle is not open-source friendly. They are Gold or Silver member of the Linux foundation and thus contribute money to the kernel developpement itselfs, they bought InnoDB a few years ago and did not destroy it nor imposed unacceptable usage conditions to MySQL AB, they are involved in many OSS projects listed at oss.oracle.com. But they are running a business and no one can be blamed to make money at business, that's what we all do. So even if there's a paid version of OpenOffice, that's business. And due to the OSS nature of OOO, I don't think there'll be paid version of OOO in itself, as software, but rather paid support if companies adopt OOO for production use. We regularly see users who continue to use a word processor as a typewriting machine and don't even know they can perform better using templates, styles, macros...

Forking OOO, ? To go where ? Only because of it being in Oracle's control ? And this is not really true, see council: OpenOffice.org Community Council I consider the displayed enthusiasm to be excessive, time will tell...
    0 + 1 = 1 != 2 <> 3 != 4 ...
    Until the camel can pass though the eye of the needle.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast