Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Thanks for helping hazel. I've been through more kernel compiles in the last two days than during the whole previous time I've spent with Linux trying various configurations to no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Thanks for helping hazel. I've been through more kernel compiles in the last two days than during the whole previous time I've spent with Linux trying various configurations to no avail. Then I tried using the .config made from make defconfig and edited for file systems and hardware. To my delight, this worked. I never really knew just how bloated Ubuntu configured kernels were until now. With the standard CRUX .config, it's hard to find many things turned on. With Ubuntu, it's hard to find many things turned off!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

So far I've never had to use defconfig. I always use my previous config file from /boot and just look at the options that are flagged NEW. I intend to do the same initially for this upgrade. If that doesn't work and I get the same sort of problems you've had, plan B is to use the config file that I worked out for Debian testing (2.6.32). make defconfig is definitely plan C.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

What's so puzzling is the old .config worked perfectly under 2.5 with kernel 2.6.35, yet using the exact same .config with 2.6.35 in 2.7 gives the problem with partitions not showing up in /dev. I ran into problems trying to get 2.6 installed on this machine and had to give up because I didn't have the time then to resolve it. The two issues must be related. I'll continue to try and pin it down but still don't have a clue where the difference is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Thanks for helping hazel. I've been through more kernel compiles in the last two days than during the whole previous time I've spent with Linux trying various configurations to no avail. Then I tried using the .config made from make defconfig and edited for file systems and hardware. To my delight, this worked. I never really knew just how bloated Ubuntu configured kernels were until now. With the standard CRUX .config, it's hard to find many things turned on. With Ubuntu, it's hard to find many things turned off!
    For what it's worth, Fedora is the same way. They include everything and the kitchen sink.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    Installed to an ext4 partition but when I tried to boot got error saying CONFIG_LBDAF needed to be enabled (went back into kernel config and enabled it and recompiled and the system boots).

enabled contrib and added romster to /etc/prt-get.conf so I now have icewm (han did not seem to work)
    ... an update, I got the same error message when I went into my Gentoo install - a bit of digging revealed this. I created the ext4 partition using gparted running on Arch so huge_file must have been enabled. So in Arch I just ran
    Code:
    tune2fs -O ^huge_file /dev/sda15
    (sda15 is my Crux root) after which I was prompted to run fsck on the partition which I did. After that I could access the partition from Gentoo and have removed large file support and recompiled my Crux kernel & it works.

@Dapper Dan - I suggest you compare old and new .config files using meld or something similar ... diff will give you a list to work with or vimdiff should give equivalent functions to meld (I just find meld easier to use for updates).
    Last edited by Jonathan183; 10-09-2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: correct vim ref

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    For what it's worth, Fedora is the same way. They include everything and the kitchen sink.
    Mike, I've always thought of it like taking along everything inside your house just to go camping. Imagine a distro that would automatically do the following during install:

1. detect hardware, file system(s) and partitions.
    2. Use the collected information to create a custom .config.
    3. Compile the kernel for the user's particular setup.

All unnecessary drivers, modules and support would be left out leaving the user with a lean and clean kernel. I'm not smart enough to figure out how to make such a distro but it seems to me it would be possible to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    @Dapper Dan - I suggest you compare old and new .config files using meld or something similar ... diff will give you a list to work with or vimdiff should give equivalent functions to meld (I just find meld easier to use for updates).
    Thanks Jonathan183, I'll have a go with meld. Congratulations on your success!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    True... and that's what I like about Fedora! That's my fall-back for not wanting to 'make it work'!

Dan, I have 2.7 installed and booting on my lappy.
    Had to do a dance with the kernel for the last couple of days... but I decided to reinstall earlier tonight, added SCSI support along with my SATA drivers, and got right up and going! FWIW... I formatted to ext4.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Incidentally... still no GUI.
    But I think I can work with that since I can at least boot!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4